Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VoIP on VMG8924, does it work?  (Read 1976 times)

aam

VoIP on VMG8924, does it work?
« on: August 25, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »

I was thinking about starting to use VoIP (maybe Sipgate) and was wondering if anyone uses the VoIP / SIP function on the VMG8924 or the VMG8324? Does it work properly or are there any issues with the hardware? Alternatively is it better to just use a separate SIP phone or ATA?

npr

• Reg Member
Re: VoIP on VMG8924, does it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »

I tested it a couple of years ago using a VMG8924. It worked fine for VoIP, but it wouldn't do what I needed, ie use the one handset for both VoIP and land-line. To achieve the one handset objective I got a Obi110 which does the job perfectly.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »

I love my obi110 (despite its quirks mine has - when on a pots call it likes to randomly disconnect you - particular numbers seem to suffer more - I don't care as most calls are via VoIP anyway - massively cheaper eg free or 1p/min for mobiles.

If I could find somewhere that sold the obi212 (the replacement to the obi110 I believe) I would seriously consider upgrading by researching if UK lines are supported and what new features the obi212 has over the obi110.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:01:33 PM by ktz392837 »

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »

No problem here with the Obi dropping calls from land-lines, my wife would have a lot to say if that happened.

As for the price of calls, around £10 for 4 months of free calls to 01, 02, 03 numbers and mobile calls at 1.2p per minute.

Note: Just remembered, I did have a problem with VoIP when using Plusnet. Needed to get a static IP address from them to fix the problem.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »

I think I'm using the same provider as you as you suggested it to me iirc

Plusnet dynamic IP is working for me it did stop working but prefixing dialled numbers with 44 fixed the problem must have been new range of IP address with issues never swapped back as it is still working.

Yes my pots disconnecting issue is weird, in reviews  few have also mentioned the same issue but as I don't know of any other product that has the same functionality I just put up with it.

aam

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:20:51 PM »

I did try the VOIP settings within the VMG8924 myself and it does work. It’s a little bit more tricky to configure and there doesn’t seem to be any options to use a stun server. I’ve currently left SIP disabled as I have also been playing around with SIP phones (Yealink and Grandstream) and a couple of ATA and they give many more options and flexibility in configuration.