Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is IPTV?  (Read 2818 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
What is IPTV?
« on: August 24, 2018, 07:51:08 AM »

Is NowTV IPTV? I thought it was skys attempt to get into the online streaming market, like browser or android/iOS based.

[This thread is split off from the discussion about NowTV: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22310.0.html - roseway]

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:54:00 PM by roseway »

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: What is IPTV?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »

Is NowTV IPTV? I thought it was skys attempt to get into the online streaming market, like browser or android/iOS based.

one and the same thing.
"Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks."

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:48:56 AM »

Ok, but my understanding of IPTV was that it was mostly multicast transmissions for live TV, as opposed to VOD type services like netflix or amazon prime.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »

Ok, but my understanding of IPTV was that it was mostly multicast transmissions for live TV, as opposed to VOD type services like netflix or amazon prime.

NowTV is live TV as well as VOD content.
IPTV doesn't *have* to be limited to just multicast.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 03:13:03 PM »

I know this is just splitting hairs now, but the distinction between the two has to be there.

You wouldn't call netflix IPTV, or iplayer, so what makes nowTV IPTV? Just delivering content via an internet connection doesnt make it "IPTV". So it makes sense to me to call a service that delivers live content via multicast IPTV, if they happen to provide VOD as well then so be it. Does nowTV provide live TV via multicast, I cant find anything in the wikipedia page that suggests it does.  ???

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

may i refer you to the wikipedia explanation of what IPTV is

Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously. As a result, a client media player can begin playing the content (such as a TV channel) almost immediately. This is known as streaming media.

Although IPTV uses the Internet protocol it is not limited to television streamed from the Internet, (Internet television). IPTV is widely deployed in subscriber-based telecommunications networks with high-speed access channels into end-user premises via set-top boxes or other customer-premises equipment. IPTV is also used for media delivery around corporate and private networks. IPTV in the telecommunications arena is notable for its ongoing standardisation process (e.g., European Telecommunications Standards Institute).

IPTV services may be classified into three main groups:

Live television and live media, with or without related interactivity;
Time-shifted media: e.g. catch-up TV (replays a TV show that was broadcast hours or days ago), start-over TV (replays the current TV show from its beginning);
Video on demand (VOD): browse and view items in a stored media catalogue.

as i said, multicast is irrelevant and it does not dictate whether something is "IPTV" or not.
NowTV clearly doesn't use multicast as that would require being in a specific ISP network for it to work.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »

Video on demand (VOD): browse and view items in a stored media catalogue.

So netflix is IPTV?

Just saying the term has no meaning if you extend it like that.

Is youtube IPTV?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »

you seem to be fixating on the "TV" part of IPTV and assuming it has to mean live TV.

here's another article that explains what IPTV can include - https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-iptv-works.html
it does mention Multicast but at no point says that it can only ever be multicast.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »

Ok, agree do disagree, this has gone way away from the original topic.

Just saying that IPTV in most peoples minds is a service like BT vision (or whatever they call it now), and calling straight streaming services like netflix, iplayer or nowtv that is odd.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »

Just saying that IPTV in most peoples minds is a service like BT vision

is it? any stats to confirm that?

and calling straight streaming services like netflix, iplayer or nowtv that is odd.

NowTV does have live TV though, so does iPlayer.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »

NowTV does have live TV though, so does iPlayer.

Now whos fixated on live TV? Heh.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »

Now whos fixated on live TV? Heh.

you it seems.
but hey, feel free to continue the intelligent debate, or bail out with idiotic responses.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »

I'm sorry man, I didn't want to get into a fight. :)  I can honestly say I still dont really know the definition of IPTV. Is it any service allowing the viewing of TV past or present via the internet? It just seems such a loose term.. sorry chenks and OP, lets leave it be.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »

Its extremely simple. TV delivered by means of an IP stream.

What you are really asking is 'What is TV?'

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »

What you are really asking is 'What is TV?'

I don't think I am.

The distinction I'm getting at is that when someone says they "have IPTV" or they need settings to make "IPTV work on their router" they mean one of the multicast offerings from BT or talktalk. They do not mean netflix or amazon prime or youtube. In common parlance, video delivered over the internet is not IPTV. Is this an IPForum, do people play games online via IPGaming? Certainly delivered by IP, but its addition has no meaning here, so what does IPTV mean? Usually multicast streams to a set top box.
Pages: [1] 2