Chat > Tech Chat

What is IPTV?

(1/4) > >>

johnson:
Is NowTV IPTV? I thought it was skys attempt to get into the online streaming market, like browser or android/iOS based.

[This thread is split off from the discussion about NowTV: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22310.0.html - roseway]

chenks:

--- Quote from: johnson on August 24, 2018, 07:51:08 AM ---Is NowTV IPTV? I thought it was skys attempt to get into the online streaming market, like browser or android/iOS based.

--- End quote ---

one and the same thing.
"Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks."

johnson:
Ok, but my understanding of IPTV was that it was mostly multicast transmissions for live TV, as opposed to VOD type services like netflix or amazon prime.

chenks:

--- Quote from: johnson on August 24, 2018, 08:48:56 AM ---Ok, but my understanding of IPTV was that it was mostly multicast transmissions for live TV, as opposed to VOD type services like netflix or amazon prime.

--- End quote ---

NowTV is live TV as well as VOD content.
IPTV doesn't *have* to be limited to just multicast.

johnson:
I know this is just splitting hairs now, but the distinction between the two has to be there.

You wouldn't call netflix IPTV, or iplayer, so what makes nowTV IPTV? Just delivering content via an internet connection doesnt make it "IPTV". So it makes sense to me to call a service that delivers live content via multicast IPTV, if they happen to provide VOD as well then so be it. Does nowTV provide live TV via multicast, I cant find anything in the wikipedia page that suggests it does.  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version