Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New modem made a mess of things  (Read 6806 times)

Pottsy

Re: New modem made a mess of things
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »

I'm embarrassed to say - here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173427595328

I can only assume that this is a hardware fault.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 09:23:03 AM »

Is there an option for toggling vectoring support on/off on the Zyxel?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »

I'm embarrassed to say - here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173427595328

I can only assume that this is a hardware fault.

That exact listing? I would definitely contact the seller and ask for a return, its within time and the item is faulty.

Pottsy

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 09:27:55 AM »

Already contacted!

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »

Is there an option for toggling vectoring support on/off on the Zyxel?

I do not believe so mitchy, here are the possible options from xdslctl:

Code: [Select]
xdslctl connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]
           [--tones <r1-r2,r3-r4,...>] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedley]
       xdslctl configure/configure1 [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|M3|M5|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>] [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a |30a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>] [--maxDataRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]

And the GUI certainly has no mention of vectoring.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »

I wasn't sure, I remember there being several options that you could toggle but couldn't recall if vectoring was one of them. Thanks

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »

Already contacted!

I would make sure to flash the stock v.24 firmware and maybe go to the data partition and delete the "bootcmds.sh" file my firmware has created, just as a super paranoid precaution, before returning. Its unlikely the seller will interrogate the item anywhere near close enough to catch these, but best to be safe.

Pottsy

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »

I'll return it to standard. The vendor should be pleased I have tried everything before returning it!

Is there such a thing as a quick and stable modem? Vigor 130 is slow but stable, and my HG612 is quick but unstable.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »

Believe me your experience with the 8324 is atypical. I run one on my line and its the both the highest syncing and most stable I have tried, out of many.

If you have been put off zyxel modems (understandably so) then for cheap you could try a Billion 8800NL v1 next. I have one and it was super stable, the modem code it uses did not exhibit the strange bug with vectoring, and just a bit lower sync than the zyxels.

Edit: 2 on the auction site for around £25 atm, can be had cheaper if you wait, but they are there.

I'd add that the Billion uses the same BCM63168 chipset that makes the zyxels good and is only missing the nice noise filter on the line input.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:51:05 AM by johnson »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 11:55:07 AM »

I'm convinced the problem was related to Vectoring. It definitely wasn't a DLM thing.

Although a slightly different bug to what Johnson had on his line, similar to what half a dozen or so other Vectoring lines have shown in the past.

I was hoping the newer DSL driver would have fixed it but unfortunately not.

It would be a no no for a GUI to offer the ability to disable Vectoring. It goes against the whole purpose of Vectoring.
Modems on a cabinet they can't Vector or aren't Vectoring friendly make enough noise on their own without poorly configured CPE adding to that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »

I'm convinced the problem was related to Vectoring. It definitely wasn't a DLM thing.

Although a slightly different bug to what Johnson had on his line, similar to what half a dozen or so other Vectoring lines have shown in the past.

I was hoping the newer DSL driver would have fixed it but unfortunately not.

It would be a no no for a GUI to offer the ability to disable Vectoring. It goes against the whole purpose of Vectoring.
Modems on a cabinet they can't Vector or aren't Vectoring friendly make enough noise on their own without poorly configured CPE adding to that.

Makes sense when you put it like that John.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 07:09:09 PM »

Wow thats not good   :'(

Connection speed (kbps):   15991      4404
SNR margin (dB):           25.3      8.2

There's loads of Margin, so why isn't the modem allocating it to the sync speed, if the modem is displaying Vectoring status:          1 (VECT_FULL)
It's almost like the DSLAM has determined its running in Vector_Friendly mode rather than Full and thus only given it standard VDSL speed?

The odd thing is the VMG8324 passed Openreach's MCT.   Vectoring is one of the things they test for.

Quote from: SIN498
Compare the results obtained using the CPE at each cable length against those
obtained using the 48 BT provided CPE.  Note whether the CPE under test
supports vectoring and whether there is any significant drop in performance
either to the modem or the rest of the vector group when vectoring is enabled.

Expected Outcome – “Pass” if modem is capable of supporting vectoring and does not
adversely affect the performance of the vector group, “Fail” if not.

The f/w version they tested was 1.00(AAKL.10)C0_0703

I agree with this ^.    I'm sure there was a post on here a few years back when someone with a different modem tried to turn off Vectoring support and it wouldn't sync. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »

So try this firmware version Pottsy, as per Kitz:

1.00(AAKL.10)C0_0703

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »

I'm sure there was a post on here a few years back when someone with a different modem tried to turn off Vectoring support and it wouldn't sync.

I think I remember reading something about this actually.

I just mentioned it as a possibility of something like that being disabled by default in the GUI. I couldn't remember the options inside the Zyxel so it was a bit of a guess if it even existed.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2018, 02:13:28 AM »

So try this firmware version Pottsy, as per Kitz:

1.00(AAKL.10)C0_0703

I certainly think trying older firmware is a good idea. I know I keep harping on about my vectoring issues, but an older firmware on a 1312 also fixed my issue, it was just less stable (lots of overnight sync drops) so I stopped using it. It had the o1 dsl code I believe.

I cant find AAKL.10 on the Zyxel ftp, but Pottsy once you have waited a day or so and can try some more resyncs, I would try either of these:

A2pv6F039i :
ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8324-B10A/firmware/VMG8324-B10A_1.00(AAKL.7)C0.zip

A2pv6F039o1 :
ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG8924-B10A/firmware/VMG8924-B10A_1.00(AAKL.13)C0.zip
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything