Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need new VDSL Router below 100 quid + Ethernet extension  (Read 4423 times)

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Re: Need new VDSL Router below 100 quid + Ethernet extension
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »

Thanks for that, I will consider it.

But I´m interested in the 2nd unit I need:

How about the 2nd AP I need for the living room. Again, I will lay an ethernet cable from the hall to the living room, and I need good wifi and more LAN connections there. Is something like the  Belkin AC1800 DB ok (its just cheap). Or should I aim for similar AC1900 as the VR900 has? Do I need to consider anything in terms of compatibility between the two units? Should I chose the same brand?
BW
Fred
So let's see if I understood: you need a DSL modem/router in the hallway (I presume is where the DSL cable comes inside your flat) + a router in the living room, is that correct ?
An option would be a D7000 + Extender EX7000: have a look at the Netgear website for the specs.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »

Thanks for that, I will consider it.

But I´m interested in the 2nd unit I need:

How about the 2nd AP I need for the living room. Again, I will lay an ethernet cable from the hall to the living room, and I need good wifi and more LAN connections there. Is something like the  Belkin AC1800 DB ok (its just cheap). Or should I aim for similar AC1900 as the VR900 has? Do I need to consider anything in terms of compatibility between the two units? Should I chose the same brand?
BW
Fred

Why not take things one step at a time and see how good the wifi coverage of the VR900 is in your whole flat before adding additional APs?

Alternatively, instead of faffing around with multiple access points (@increased cost), just buy an el-cheapo VDSL2 modem such as the HG612 or a Zyxel on ebay, then hook that up to the best router for wifi (Netgear R7800) by ethernet, placing the R7800 in a central location. You'll probably find the R7800 easily covers the whole of your flat.

fred5

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »

Hi Guys

I appreciate your help, but both of your options involve routers that are way in excess of the budget I had intended for this (as mentioned in my first post).

@hushcoden yes that is correct.

There are only solid walls in this building, all with reinforced concrete (that is steel in the walls), I hope you understand what that does to the wifi.. But ok, I might try one router first, but I´m very certain it won´t be enough, also, when I can buy a smaller AP for another 20 quid or so, to absolutely make sure I have wifi covered, why not do it. I need to lay the cable into the living room for the TV either way..

So just to make sure I have a model ready, could you help me finding an extension then please. A AP or switch or w/e. The Belkin F9K1118 is the cheapest I found for AC1800, would that be sufficient? Or should I rather look for a TP Link if I get the Archer? How is the item I am looking for called anyhow? Is it a switch, hub access point?!?

BW
Fred

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »

Fair enough. But you're probably throwing money down the drain by going for the Belkin F9K1118 as it gets very poor reviews - you get what you pay for and all that.

TP Link kit is normally very good value for money, probably worth going for a plug in range extender unit such as the RE305 or RE450 as they get very good reviews on Amazon. Yes, they will cost you at least 35 notes but I'm afraid you're gonna have to spend money in order to get something which actually does what its supposed to...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet-RE305/dp/B01N4I3YOB

[Moderator edited to simplify the above link.]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:56:53 PM by burakkucat »

fred5

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »

Hi
Ok, if the belkin is not good enough, does someone have an alternative? Or at least can you tell me how the item I´m looking for is actually  called? It receives internet via ethernet cable from the router, it needs to extend wifi, and provide some more LAN ports. Is this an AP, a router a switch?

( I´m not going to use powerline range extenders or anything the like)

BW
Fred

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »

Okay, it seems you want/need an access point, i.e. a device connected via Ethernet cable to the modem (or modem/router) which adds wireless connectivity to your LAN.

There are many APs vendors such as Draytek, TP-Link or Linksys... Alternatively you can configure a router in AP mode: a colleague of mine bought a router Netgear R6400v2 from eBay for £40 using that as wireless access point and that covers all his flat...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:31:28 PM by hushcoden »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »

It receives internet via ethernet cable from the router, it needs to extend wifi, and provide some more LAN ports. Is this an AP, a router a switch?

In that case buy a standalone router and use it as an access point (AP). If you don't want to spend a huge amount but still want a quality router/AP then look for a second hand Netgear R6300 or Netgear R7000 on ebay - they can be had for around £20-£30.

I've also seen a refurbished R6300V2 on Amazon US for $39.99 which is a very good price for an excellent router (seller ships to Blighty but no idea on postage costs - EDIT: its Amazon who ships and they charge $17which includes shipping and pre-paid import charges)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSALERD/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_rfb
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:37:27 PM by psychopomp1 »

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »

Try looking at powerline networking adaptors that'll give you wired connectivity.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »

+1 on not buying Asus or Belkin router
Personally I would also add TP-Link to that list, their gear is good value but usually has flakey firmware and they usually stop supporting after a short amount of time and before they iron out the bugs - but maybe I have been unlucky :)

also +1 on going second hand - lots of deals on ebay

:P
Pages: 1 [2]

anything