Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cheapest modem that works with DSLStats?  (Read 3555 times)

bobmoss

Cheapest modem that works with DSLStats?
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »

I've currently got a VMG1312-B10D running DSLStats which I want to prove if it's faulty or not.

So what is the cheapest modem I can get that works with DSLStats?

Thanks.

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Cheapest modem that works with DSLStats?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:48:50 PM »

Hmm... maybe an old HG612, one of the early modems BT supplied for FTTC.

Can be had for £10 delivered on the auction site currently.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »

Indeed a Huawei HG612 would be the cheapest.

IMO a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A would be the most desireable.
They pop up on fleabay regularly around the £40 mark new. They can be had much less used.

The Zyxel VMG1312-B10D is a budget replacement of the A model.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bobmoss

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »

Excellent, thanks both. I've ordered the HG612 for £9.99 delivered as it looks like the most supported version and nice and cheap.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »

Hg612 is a good budget choice but remember it doesn't support stats out of the box (if ex bt stock) you have to unlock/apply custom firmware.  It may already be done on the one you bought it usually says.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:23:40 PM by ktz392837 »

bobmoss

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »

Thanks. The one I've bought isn't unlocked, but I've just had a look around here and can see all the info on unlocking, firmware upgrade etc. so fingers crossed it should all be OK.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 03:29:53 PM »

It is straightforward to do but just in case someone else is reading the thread and not that familiar it is something to consider.

I used to use an unlocked hg612 but now you would have to pry my zyxel 8324 b10a from me.  It works great on my line.  It keeps the errors so low.

Finding the best modem for your particular line/circumstances is an art though. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »

I used to use an unlocked hg612 but now you would have to pry my zyxel 8324 b10a from me.  It works great on my line.  It keeps the errors so low.

Ditto.   
Although I do have an 8924 waiting to go on my network when I feel up to messing & setting it up and all the wireless connections. 

IMO a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A would be the most desireable.

Curious about this and why the VMG1312 seems preferable or is it price?   The only reason I ask is I was chatting with an old friend last night and nagging him to get a decent modem to replace the BT hub in order to get stats as he currently has had some sort of weird fault that Openreach are blaming on the cab.
Anyhow long and short of it, he noticed on here that a few people were buying 1312's.   Weaver I can understand...  but wondered why the swing over to the 1312.     Despite the VMG8324 only being wireless_n...   without doubt for me it performs better than an ac I tested unless stood right next to the router.   It's one thing I have noticed that the signal is excellent reaching places and some black spots where previously I have struggled.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »

One plus point that the VMG1312-B10A has over the other ZyXEL devices -- and it's something that I know j0hn and Weaver appreciate -- is its physical shape, a rectilinear slab. It sits neatly on a shelf, horizontally, or hangs vertically, when mounted on a wall (or other upright surface).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »

Exactly what B*cat says. It's basically a black HG612 in shape and style and wall mounts brilliantly right next to my master socket with a very short patch lead.

It also syncs higher than my 8924. At the time I swapped over it was about 0.5Mb higher on downstream and nearly 1Mb on the upstream.

I think a few other members also find the VMG1312-B10A syncs a little higher than the VMG8x24-B10A. My 1312 has a higher reported upstream power than the 8924 so that may go some way to explain why the upstream was so much better considering they have the exact same chipset and noise filter.

I think most of us who prefer the 1312's run them in bridge mode. If I was running a modem router combo then I would probably use the 8924.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »

Cheers.  Box shape makes sense especially if youre using it as a bridge.   
I'm the opposite and prefer AIO units and less clutter, therefore the small footprint of the 8924/8324 is preferable in my own environment.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bobmoss

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. My HG612 arrived today and after following the excellent guides on here I got the unlocked firmware flashed, got it all configured and it is now running in PPPoe bridge mode connected to a Ubiquiti Unifi USG and being monitored by DSLStats.

So far it's running well with no issues.

anything