Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3G or 4G dongle  (Read 932 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
3G or 4G dongle
« on: August 22, 2018, 12:36:46 AM »

I should be able to get a 3G dongle going with my firebrick now. I forgot stupidly to order a SIM for it, well in fact the entire issue never occurred to me, never gave it any thought at all. If I had thought about it in the slightest, I could have asked “does the dongle come with a SIM then?”

The SIM is here now anyway. I do not know what ID [?] is associated with it - there are various contenders lurking in clueless.aa.net.uk so I need to sort that out somehow.

1. I need to write some XML config for the Firebrick - don't know where to start. This means groping round in the website. Could anyone get me started?

2. I want to get an IPv6 proto 41 (6in4 ?) tunnel going so that my IPv6 range continues to work after failover to the dongle. I am not sure what I am doing with that, and AA support are working it out for me. Any help?

[Failover will not be much use if everything that is currently using IPv6 at the time dsl goes down - and that is a lot of web stuff now, all google, all facebook for example - simply fails and new connections have to be made somehow over IPv4.]

3. I will need to think about MTU; when the IPv6 failover happens we go to a tunnel and that means reduced MTU. One can only hope that path MTU discovery gets done again. But when does it get redone? And why - what should trigger that? The TCP MSS could get set to something more suitable, but when and how?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: 3G or 4G dongle
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 12:41:37 AM »

Also a kindly friend has given me a tip for a 4G dongle for the Firebrick as opposed to the 3G one. I need to look into this.

Will I run into problems if I test my AA 3G-capable-only dongle over Three / AQL and then try the same SIM in a new good 4G-capable dongle later on over Three / AQL afterwards ?

As for genuine 4G operation with the better dongle, what will I need to do with regard to Firebrick XML config?

[Because of the recent serious bout of illness, I can't remember what the story is regarding a truly 4G-capable device. My brain has been erased and I have been left very confused. My apologies.]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:45:21 AM by Weaver »

anything