Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Telephone cable wiring  (Read 1762 times)

Henrryparth

• Just arrived
Telephone cable wiring
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »

Hello all, here is the situation. I just moved [link removed] in and when I wanted to use the land line for my DSL connection I noticed than only one plug out of 7 works (of course it is the one with the worst location in the house). After a quick verification all other 6 plug are all inter connected and the wiring has been done. The point is that the main one is not linked to the others.

Spam link removed by admin

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:59:27 PM by kitz »

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Telephone cable wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »

So what's the problem or question?

The best wiring arrangement for DSL tends to be having the DSL signal only going as far as the one socket where the modem is plugged in. Six extension sockets is a lot and would likely cause problems for the broadband if the DSL signal went around all of them.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »

Welcome to the forums Henrryparth.

As EJS says if the DSL signal went round all the sockets it will cause problems - errors and loss of speed, put basically you get signal reflections bouncing back which cause errors, and result in loss of speed.

Best option would be to site your modem as close as possible to the master socket, this presumably is the one working socket. See here for what a master socket looks like https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

If this is not ideal there are other options, such as moving the master socket or installing a data extension which involves running a cable from the master socket to the required location.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 11:03:27 AM »

Follow my saga: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22840.msg388243.html#msg388243

The seven sockets in my house lost me about 6Mb in sync speed (it was showing a bridge tap) - I suspect I was lucky it only cost me that much.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »

The OP edited his post to include a spam link, suggesting he is a spammer and wasting people's time.

Thread locked. OP Banned and reported to SFS.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything