Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Openreach engineer has reset DLM to open profile on my line  (Read 18018 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Openreach engineer has reset DLM to open profile on my line
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2018, 12:25:22 PM »

Touch wood, and at the risk of going slightly off topic - I've never experienced congestion. Well, I did after ADSL24 started getting too popular back in about 07-08.

Had to go there after Pipex threw me off their "unlimited" ADSLMax service within a month. I'm still particularly proud of that one.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »

Quote from: CarlIT
Regarding your cabinet the chances are there won't be a second one built but either additional line cards / tie pairs to allow use of 5th and 6th cards or an HD upgrade to move it from 288 lines to 384 capacity

Codelook only gives the cabinet being expanded message for 2nd cabinets. None of the HD extensions I've seen on single cabinets show as expanded on codelook.

His cabinet only serves 354 priorities though so that is extremely unlikely.

Quote from: adslmax
FTTC Available from 4th February 2014, being expanded by October 2018. Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now. This means you may not be able to order fibre today but we're working to increase capacity. Please check back for an update.

The cabinet is on the waiting list. This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC VDSL services. You may place an order which will be dealt with in turn.

The adslmax magic editing strikes again....

Where on Earth did you get that?? That's like a mashup of 3 different sites. That's a sentence from the BT Wholesale Broadband checker, a part from the OpenReach Where and When page, and a made up line that only shows on codelook.

codelook doesn't show your cabinet as being expanded?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »

jOhn you are correct there. I got the wrong cabinet. Apology for mix up

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »

Damn, 125 from 388 is quite some congestion.

VM have a history of testing poorly on the Think Broadband checker but being flawless for other usage so it doesn't really prove anything beyond that VM and the TBB tester don't play well. Telford last time I was made aware was fine having not long received some upgrades and having had Vivid 350 recently released. Indeed there don't appear to be any complaints about speeds in Telford in the past year on the VM forums just a couple of SNR issues causing packet loss / intermittent connection.

C'est la vie.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2018, 01:21:44 PM »

Codelook only gives the cabinet being expanded message for 2nd cabinets. None of the HD extensions I've seen on single cabinets show as expanded on codelook.

His cabinet only serves 354 priorities though so that is extremely unlikely.

Understood. In an area with VM coverage, VM average 30-50% uptake in their passed areas, the odds of a new cabinet being needed are virtually nil so it shouldn't be unavailable for new release for long. Probably just needs tie pairs or a card in that case.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »

VM have a history of testing poorly on the Think Broadband checker but being flawless for other usage so it doesn't really prove anything beyond that VM and the TBB tester don't play well. Telford last time I was made aware was fine having not long received some upgrades and having had Vivid 350 recently released. Indeed there don't appear to be any complaints about speeds in Telford in the past year on the VM forums just a couple of SNR issues causing packet loss / intermittent connection.

C'est la vie.

Yes, in the main I dislike the synthetic tests. Personally I'd rather fire up an SFTP client and start performing some multi-connection transfers. That's the really only sensible way to max out a connection, imo.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »

I noticed my dslstats max rate has a varies below:

Max:    Upstream rate = 26587 - 27768 Kbps in varies, Downstream rate = 79601 - 84945 Kbps in varies between 01:34am and 01:55am last night. If the max rate is at 84945 Kbps within 10 seconds and force resync with adsl configure --maxDataRate 90000 20000 100000 in putty and the line sync rate could return to max 79999K from 79945K in tonight because of DLM resync other lines at the time of the night between 01:30am and 2:00am.

Question is why can't Openreach removed line capped @ 79999K / 19999k to get the maximum out of the max rate that the line and cabinet support it?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:59:00 PM by adslmax »

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »

Because the product sold is 80/20!
My line can theoretically support 119/25, but since I have bought 40/10 that's what I get!

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »

Because the product sold is 80/20!
My line can theoretically support 119/25, but since I have bought 40/10 that's what I get!

Yes, nail on the head.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »

Permitting customers to start playing with target SNR margins is a bad idea from the Openreach point of view. Given the stories we've seen here of people degrading their services mucking around it would go against the entire point of DLM, to reduce manual intervention and faults, to allow end users to manipulate it.

This ^
BTw had a large moan years ago about people using DMT tool to adjust their target SNRM without knowing what they were doing and messing up their line.

The downside of people getting obsessive rather than using it for diagnostics is that it can ruin things for others. There was an unsubstantiated rumour that BTw put pressure on Thomson/Speedtouch to drop some of the config options on the TG585 v7 after a f/w upgrade.  Whoever was behind it obviously had some clout with Thomson and there was a massive outcry at one point when they even removed some of the more vital stats.

I have no objection to people capping their line to give the DLM a nudge for those BCM modems that appear to get stuck, but in days of old you used to see people running their lines at a ridiculous 1 or 2dB margin.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »

Kitz oh blimey I do remember using dmt tool to force my adsl2+ Snr at 3dB and increase my sync rate to 18 Meg and stood there for 13 days before I upgraded to fttc in 2014. :)

Just found my saved screenshot below :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:58:53 PM by adslmax »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

There's nothing technical stopping end users adjusting the target SNRM, it's just that the Broadcom modems can't do it. It's possible to fiddle with the SNRM using other modems.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2018, 07:20:56 PM »

I do remember these miserable contractor men telling me off to stop spying at their work during FTTC built in December 2013. I watched them all day. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:25:30 PM by adslmax »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »

You're lucky you didn't end up in that hole !!!

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »

You're lucky you didn't end up in that hole !!!

:-[ if I did fall on this one below!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7