Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: GEA results - Is our line that bad!  (Read 22211 times)

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
Re: GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »

Copper costs over twice as much as aluminium?

Very true, and these places were built in the 80s.
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »

I don't believe the "fault" will disappear when everything dries out.
Every single test that's been done has showed a bridge tap.

I would take the offer of an engineer and make sure they advise you of the time of the appointment.
Ask Plusnet to request the engineer calls before attending to give you plenty time to be ready.

Sounds like you've had a few bad experiences with engineers recently. Don't let that put you off getting the issue resolved though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mpmc

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2018, 02:15:50 PM »

I don't believe the "fault" will disappear when everything dries out.
Every single test that's been done has showed a bridge tap.

I would take the offer of an engineer and make sure they advise you of the time of the appointment.
Ask Plusnet to request the engineer calls before attending to give you plenty time to be ready.

Sounds like you've had a few bad experiences with engineers recently. Don't let that put you off getting the issue resolved though.

I've requested one for next week  - tues in the afternoon (a lot going on here right now). This mysterious bridge tap is the thing that's annoying me most, we have no idea where it is and I don't think OR know.

The proper OR engineers are fine they do call it's the sub contractors that don't.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »

A very unusual result if the 'bridged tap' is genuinely clear of your premises ??

The only other likely places to have a 'bridged tap' fault, are ...... on IDC connectors in the cabinet, in the Cabinet box (where all the UG cables meet) if a Cab changeover has been performed and the temporary 'tee joint' still left in place, or at the DP (if it is an overhead feed).

That info is 'in general terms' and not just your case in isolation, mpmc .....  :)

mpmc

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »

A very unusual result if the 'bridged tap' is genuinely clear of your premises ??

The only other likely places to have a 'bridged tap' fault, are ...... on IDC connectors in the cabinet, in the Cabinet box (where all the UG cables meet) if a Cab changeover has been performed and the temporary 'tee joint' still left in place, or at the DP (if it is an overhead feed).

* That info is 'in general terms' and not just your case in isolation, mpmc .....  :)

Yes, as far as we can tell we only have the one master socket. The socket when we first moved into this place was a single crusty LJU socket, that was replaced when we upgraded to VDSL. I do remember cabling that went along the skirting connected as an extension, which was removed as it went nowhere. The lady that lived here had limited sight and had a phone in the main bedroom.

* Understood :)

Update!

They've done another GEA test internal notes read: Poor sync speeds
Escalation raised
... and said..

We've raised this as a escalation with our suppliers due to the length of time this has been ongoing and the multiple engineers visits. We'll update you when we know further
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:30:16 PM by mpmc »

mpmc

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »

Looks like the end, thank god.

29/10/2018 10:59
There is an open in progress task on the circuit at open Reach end : 1-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I completed the ring ahead with the end customer and progressed to their premises. End customer informed of connection issue. I have resolved the fault at the end customer's equipment. * There was a problem identified within the end customer's equipment but was not fixed as it is not owned by Open reach .Engineer has visited end customer premises.**Customer's modem / router is not plugged into the NTE- network termination equipment master socket. Final PQT performed at the NTE back plate .The test passed with amber parameters on 26/10/2018 12:29.Final xDSL test performed at the NTE / NTP- network termination point .xDSL test indicated line was OK on 26/10/2018.Final Fast Test completed .The test failed on 26/10/2018 12:29
Engineer has been out but liner is still erroring. Passing CA – customer apparatus to check again.

There is now an appointment activity ( KSU ) reflecting on the task for CP to respond to and book an engineer on the task at open Reach end :
26-10-2018 16:39:59.946 sa KSU - 4000 : New Appointment request sent to One Siebel.

Requesting CP to respond on the KSU soon , book an engineer and notify us via portal so that we get the task Escalated with open Reach on high priority . If KSU not responded soon, the task will be cancelled at open Reach end automatically .

Parking the case in open awaiting closure for 10 days awaiting CPs respond on the KSU and notification to us via portal.

Name and date: ********** 29-10-2018 09:15 hours .

*: Not as far as I'm aware, the modem connects fine. it was OR/plusnet's system that decided there was a fault and kept sending engineers.
**: If it wasn't connected to the NTE how would I get a connection?  :-\ The modem is connected via a OR fitted data cable!

I had to explain to the engineer where and how the modem was connected, he thought the obi110 and a USB switch underneath was the modem. I'd shown (both) engineers - one on the day and another after - the GEA failures PN were seeing and explained the system kept sending them out!

It's a simple setup, well to me..

Code: [Select]
Downstairs:
   Obi110 connected to phone port
   Data cable on VDSL port -> Modem upstairs
   Power-line Ethernet -> USB switch for the obi110 and Sky box
Upstairs:
   Modem -> GLInet mini router (Openwrt) -> Samknows Whitebox -> Power-line (for downstairs) -> Switch + Switch -> Devices

So, to sum it up, it's a bit of everything. a crappy line and OR/PN tests throwing a wobbler.

Plusnet say..

I have closed the fault report in our suppliers systems to ensure no further engineer visits are arranged. I have also advised the escalation owner that the fault is resolved.

As these visits have been as a result on a line test failure and raised as external tasks, no charge will be applied. With regards to the line test, the fault detected are a potential fault and are not always service effecting however, if you do experience any further issues please get back in touch.

I have refunded £7.50 back to your monthly payment method for the loss of service.

Why a refund was given who knows, there was no loss of service.. Not that I'm complaining mind.

:clap:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2018, 05:15:35 PM »

To be honest, I am in a completely muddled state with regards to what is/is-not working properly with your service.

But, if you are happy, . . .   :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mpmc

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »

That makes two of us  :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything