Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help me please  (Read 8972 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Help me please
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:44:43 PM »

I am struggle try to find a good web hosting of my own for the dslstats but I don't know how to create one then add dslstats on it and running live 24/7/365 from raspberry pi 2.

Anyone know of experience, please tell me what to do step by step as I never done that before because I am a numb and thick. Had no idea how to run this dslstats to web host online.

Do I need to pay for it? 3 Years Plan £34.85

https://www.falcoda.co.uk/cheap_web_hosting/index.php

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Help me please
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 06:47:46 PM »

If only serving up dslstats surely you could host that easily on the pi?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »

how???

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »

I’m afraid you will need to rent some space if you don’t get any with your ISP.  I would suggest a Linux hosting package as they are normally cheaper than windows servers and will run the PHP scrips created by KITZ.

If you do go for a windows package there is a version I created for that.

However can you not use the DSL stats built in web server and view from your PC or tablet ? Also you could use port forwarding on your router to access th Pi from outside your network.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »

I need someone explain step by step instruction or kitz maybe set up video of how to set up dslstats via web host with router port forward so I can view it on my mobile while I was away on holiday etc.

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »

Max,

Do you have the webserver for dslstats on your LAN setup?  (Or are you just looking at the pi desktop via a vncclient?).

If just by vnc, then I'd recommend *first* setting up the webserver to view via your LAN, which isn't hard. Kitz has kindly supplied some
php blah-blah in a thread that I'm sure you can find, that presents the main on-going stats in a pretty form.  I look at mine
with my browser with an address like, eg, "http://192.168.1.99:55555/connection.htm". Setting up the webserver is documented where you got
dslstats. The dslstats tab you need is "configuration>>webserver". Apologies if you know all that.

If you are happy with what that gives you, then consider opening a WAN port on your router forwarded to the pi. I'm not sure of the security implications of doing that, so haven't done it. But then you could look at the last day or two's stuff on holiday.

Mydslwebstats (is that the right name?) was an amazing service, frankly well worth 34 quid or whatever for 3 years, giving historical, graphical access to your stats. Anyway, it's gone.  There are threads on this site discussing what might be done to store historical stats on an ftp server, dropbox or suchlike, if not to present the data as beautifully and meaningfully as mydslwebstats. I doubt there are many here with the combination of time, energy, knowledge and health to suggest how that might be accomplished, though it has obviously been desired, and others have thought a bit about it.

Anyway, to me, it seems with the demise of mdsl-thingy, I think there's a lesson about contributing some proper cash any such thing, and indeed to this very site, because (a) it's worth it, and (b) when it's gone its gone. I don't insinuate in any way you haven't, and apologise in advance if I've said anything patronising, which is far from my intention.,

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 11:48:34 PM »

22over7

I can view it on my pc via lan port. http://192.168.1.99:55555/fullstats.html but cannot view it via my mobile phone via 4G. I put open port on billion but it still won't work via mobile phone.

I wish Mydslwebstats is coming back. Maybe we all should donate again this time a membership fee of £40 a year to pay the cost for the server to run Mydslwebstats if the owner of this MDWS willing to comeback.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 12:21:06 AM »

It's not the money Max, the guy didn't want to do it anymore and GPDR finished him off.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »

I wish Mydslwebstats is coming back.
But it isn't, and no amount of 'wishing' is going to change that.

Maybe we all should donate again this time a membership fee of £40 a year to pay the cost for the server to run Mydslwebstats if the owner of this MDWS willing to comeback.
As you well know, the cost of running the server was not the major reason why MDWS was stopped. It never was a commercial venture, so be grateful you had the opportunity to use it for a while, and think of it as a treasured memory that cannot be repeated!

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 12:30:10 AM »

I can view it on my pc via lan port. http://192.168.1.99:55555/fullstats.html but cannot view it via my mobile phone via 4G. I put open port on billion but it still won't work via mobile phone.

Would just like to say a great deal of caution should be advised opening up ports and exposing things to the big bad internet, especially for those with little experience, zero offence intended. How badly do you really need to check your stats from outside of the house?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »

of course you couldn't, as that IP address is internal only.
you'd need to use your external public IP address when accessing it via 4G.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »

Would just like to say a great deal of caution should be advised opening up ports and exposing things to the big bad internet, especially for those with little experience, zero offence intended. How badly do you really need to check your stats from outside of the house?

I completely disagree.

For what max wants to achieve opening a single port on a pi is much better advice than

Quote from: g3uiss
I’m afraid you will need to rent some space if you don’t get any with your ISP.  I would suggest a Linux hosting package as they are normally cheaper than windows servers and will run the PHP scrips created by KITZ.

If you do go for a windows package there is a version I created for that.

He doesn't need to buy web hosting for DslStats. COME ON PPL.

The script uploaded by kitz can be made to work on Windows. You can also run PHP on a Pi very easily.

edit: added name you 2nd quote, added 2 words in bold
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:13:10 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 08:23:39 AM »

He doesn't need web hosting for DslStats. COME ON PPL.

yes he does.
even if it's done locally it's still webhosting.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »

I mean you quoted 2 different people, I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, was just saying novices exposing ports (hopefully just to a pi, but who knows) needs caution.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »

yes he does.
even if it's done locally it's still webhosting.

A little pedantic but whatever

I mean you quoted 2 different people, I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, was just saying novices exposing ports (hopefully just to a pi, but who knows) needs caution.

I didn't suggest both quotes were by yourself, corrected.

If someone's going to advise max to purchase/rent/configure (any more for the pedantics?) web hosting then I hope they are going to assist him in configuring it.

So far he's got as far as setting up a blank wix page that can't run PHP that had a Google maps link to his address.
He's not competent enough to set this up and some honesty telling him that will go a long way.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: [1] 2

anything