Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast  (Read 18281 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 07:28:56 PM »

I believe there is other requirements for FTTPoD availability aside from FTTC enabled services.
Yes, for the exchange to be enabled for FTTPoD. :) At least that I am aware of (could be more).

It is possible they using another cabinet now for ADSL, I dont think a 2mbit jump would happen without something changing as on adsl1 thats massive.  I had a loop loss of 50db on adsl1, how many 50db lines would reach 8mbit?  I wonder if its actually an error on the checker as errors have been known to happen from time to time. The previous adsl1 estimate before it jumped was 4.6mbit (dropped from 5-6.2 pre FTTC days).  So the jump was actually more than 2mbit.
No clue, and they don't make crystal balls like they used to. ;) Did you notice the cabinet number change on the checker? Though one thing for sure is that at 50 dB loss there is absolutely no chance of reaching 8 Mbps; it'd have to be below 40 dB to even stand a chance on ADSL1.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »

I have had some intel that the G.fast rollout in my area is due to be complete around Q2 2019. Obviously this means that I may not be able to order it for half a year. I don't know anything beyond this at this time for timescales.

It gets a bit complex here since native Openreach 1 Gbps FTTP is available in the same town (due to new build requirements on broadband requiring broadband speeds above a threshold that FTTC offers) but according to the DSL Checker it is not served on the local exchange. In fact, the exchange is not even in England! Interestingly enough, the local exchange is FTTPoD enabled but perhaps it's lacking the the necessary handover kit to serve 1 Gbps FTTP connections and G.fast?

Does anybody know if 10 Gbps capable handover kit is being installed in local exchanges as part of the G.fast (and even FTTP) rollout or is it likely just going bypass local exchanges like the case with the new builds as above?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:18:05 AM by re0 »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »

Okay, well there is certainly sound emanating from the pod now so there is power to it; there is a gentle hum. Does this imply that it is hooked up to fibre also?

I didn't listen to any other pods, but presumably they are likely at around the same stage. Though I should be careful as I risk being seen as some crazy guy, so from now on I'll have to do little treks under the cover of darkness. ;D

I don't know if anyone would be aware of whether the procedure for commissioning G.fast is somewhat the same as with FTTC? But I can't see it being enabled anytime soon anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »

Okay, well there is certainly sound emanating from the pod now so there is power to it; there is a gentle hum. Does this imply that it is hooked up to fibre also?

No, not necessarily so. It really depends upon the availability of those skilled to perform the required tasks.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »

Thanks b*cat. I think the availability of people with the required skills may be limited since it took over half a year from when the FTTC cabinet was in place until it was activated, though I could be completely wrong. Also, I did mention somewhere that a local engineer said that they weren't trained for G.fast which may mean that engineers further afield may be put on duty until local engineers are trained for it.

Perhaps I need to chill and not become to obsessed. Though I'm not quite posting about it daily. ;D Just let me know if I become too much of a nuisance!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 09:05:57 PM »

Does anybody know if 10 Gbps capable handover kit is being installed in local exchanges as part of the G.fast (and even FTTP) rollout or is it likely just going bypass local exchanges like the case with the new builds as above?

Fibre kit is only installed in certain exchanges and they will support FTTC/FTTP and g.fast from those locations.. the long term plan being to close most local exchanges

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »

Fibre kit is only installed in certain exchanges and they will support FTTC/FTTP and g.fast from those locations.. the long term plan being to close most local exchanges
I've heard about the long-term plan to close local exchanges. Presumably it's because of the PSTN network being replaced by IP telephony and it makes no sense to have cases where small exchanges are serving a few hundred properties when a larger exchange has a presence nearby.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2018, 07:38:11 AM »

I've heard about the long-term plan to close local exchanges. Presumably it's because of the PSTN network being replaced by IP telephony and it makes no sense to have cases where small exchanges are serving a few hundred properties when a larger exchange has a presence nearby.

Was speaking with a fibre manager only a few weeks ago and plans are in place to condense six (I'm sure it was this amount ?)  London Exchanges into just one.

I have no idea which ones, as it is absolutely nowhere near my patch .... it was just interesting to hear his take on it all. He mentioned that we are currently running at 120% where FTTP is concerned, and that was set to steadily increase, as once one town/city becomes FTTP (in effect, a hands-off network), then the surplus engineers that used to maintain said town/city are then used to help with the next FTTP project ..... and so on, and so on .....

For the ground-troops, it unfortunately means they are slowly working their way out of a job.   

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2018, 11:38:11 AM »

Well I spoke to an Openreach engineer today at the cabinet. Felt a bit sorry disturbing him since he said he was working on faulty ports or something (though I didn't ask him while he had his head in the cabinet).

Anyway, I asked he if knew about the G.fast pod and he wasn't sure. Perhaps this isn't his usual patch or maybe not trained with G.fast. But he said something like "it shouldn't be long because I can see everything is connected". So at the cabinet side, things are apparently fully connected so maybe we are waiting for links at the exchange?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2018, 03:28:40 PM »

Are you in Rochdale, re0 ?? Have I got that right ???

If so, I stray into that patch on a regular'ish basis ... and every Cab I've ever been too has the pods attached with the hybrid cable fully connected. So I can only guess that some other geographical links are being worked on ??

As an aside .... waaaay back in the day of Fxxx, Rochdale was actually earmarked to be one of the very first to go FTTP, but, the power capacity at the Exchange was running at about 96% (if memory serves) and couldn't handle any further major equipment power-feeds, without scaling up the power supply to the building.  :-\

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »

We have g.fast pods on attached to our PCP here, north of Bridgend.

I think the Huawei cabinet has put on weight too, i.e. it's grown a bit on one side!
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »

Are you in Rochdale, re0 ?? Have I got that right ???
Nowhere near! :D I didn't really disclose the location before, so it's a guessing game. Probably because I don't live in the biggest of areas and I don't need another stalker... implying I'd be interesting enough to follow ;D

If so, I stray into that patch on a regular'ish basis ... and every Cab I've ever been too has the pods attached with the hybrid cable fully connected. So I can only guess that some other geographical links are being worked on ??
About 1/3 of cabinets here have a G.fast pod on that I am aware of. A few have copper extensions that I am aware of. Not sure which pods are hooked up to power and fibre but I think mine was one of the last of the lot to be fitted, so there may be a chance that mine is behind the rest and if it is indeed hooked up fully then that is good progress.

We have g.fast pods on attached to our PCP here, north of Bridgend.
Active? When was it fitted?

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »

Nope, not active. They've been there a good few months at this point, though. There is absolutely no G.Fast live, but a few cabinets have got it, for sure.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »

@ BS could they be the ones catering for the Square Mile? I know there a lot of compatstive providers there, but very little, if any at all, BT FTTC or FTTP.
CLBIS   Bishopsgate   City of London
CLFAR   Faraday   City of London
CLFLE   Fleet   City of London
CLMON   Monument   City of London
CLMOO   Moorgate   City of London
CLWOO   Wood Street   City of London

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »

Your guess is always going to be better than mine, Ren .... I have not the slightest clue ... as mooted, it was just something mentioned in a convo ??.  :) :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

anything