Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast  (Read 2220 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 07:28:56 PM »

I believe there is other requirements for FTTPoD availability aside from FTTC enabled services.
Yes, for the exchange to be enabled for FTTPoD. :) At least that I am aware of (could be more).

It is possible they using another cabinet now for ADSL, I dont think a 2mbit jump would happen without something changing as on adsl1 thats massive.  I had a loop loss of 50db on adsl1, how many 50db lines would reach 8mbit?  I wonder if its actually an error on the checker as errors have been known to happen from time to time. The previous adsl1 estimate before it jumped was 4.6mbit (dropped from 5-6.2 pre FTTC days).  So the jump was actually more than 2mbit.
No clue, and they don't make crystal balls like they used to. ;) Did you notice the cabinet number change on the checker? Though one thing for sure is that at 50 dB loss there is absolutely no chance of reaching 8 Mbps; it'd have to be below 40 dB to even stand a chance on ADSL1.

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »

I have had some intel that the G.fast rollout in my area is due to be complete around Q2 2019. Obviously this means that I may not be able to order it for half a year. I don't know anything beyond this at this time for timescales.

It gets a bit complex here since native Openreach 1 Gbps FTTP is available in the same town (due to new build requirements on broadband requiring broadband speeds above a threshold that FTTC offers) but according to the DSL Checker it is not served on the local exchange. In fact, the exchange is not even in England! Interestingly enough, the local exchange is FTTPoD enabled but perhaps it's lacking the the necessary handover kit to serve 1 Gbps FTTP connections and G.fast?

Does anybody know if 10 Gbps capable handover kit is being installed in local exchanges as part of the G.fast (and even FTTP) rollout or is it likely just going bypass local exchanges like the case with the new builds as above?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:18:05 AM by re0 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]