Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast  (Read 18271 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Cabinet re-shell for G.fast
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:41 PM »

Hi guys and gals,

I am pretty sure I am right in saying that my cabinet is one of the old "cast iron" ones that have been existence for a long time. Up until now, it has not been touched (and there was no real need with FTTC). However, with G.fast potentially just around the corner I am now wondering how Openreach will approach the situation.

There is no doubt that it will need a re-shell due to the way it is deployed in current developments. Though what I am wondering is:
  • How much distruption will it cause to existing connections?
  • Are there typically any complications that could lead to delays and problems?
There are already cabinets fitted with pods locally but those already had "modern" shells. Those that do have the pods fitted were on the DSLchecker as "planned" previously (before records were removed), so one could hope that it will still come to the others listed.

Regards,
re0
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »

They reshelled a lot of the cabs around here last year (including mine). 
Memory is hazy but I think I can recall reporting on here that my SNRM was a bit spiky the day they did it but that was most likely due to the weather conditions that day.   Can't recall there being any noticeable downtime.    My cab took a bit longer as they also put some sort of new fibre in that branched off to another one about 20m away which has some weird configuration when it comes to the location of connected users.

The surrounding area was cordoned off for several days whilst they dug up the pavement etc, but they do most of the prep work ready, then a crane lift just comes takes the old shell out and puts the new one in.     The actual 'back plane' isn't touched - or at least wasnt on mine.   I actually saw my cab minus the case open to the elements on a wet and windy day.     Can't find the post now...  but I'm sure I commented on here about it the day they did it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »

Thank you for the response, kitz.

I have seen zero activity around my cabinet and can't see any works scheduled as of yet. I am hoping to pass one day and see a nice shiny new cabinet with a pod attached. Of course, in such a scenario I will have to keep my eyes peeled for when it becomes active as there is a high density of premises here that could be competing for 48 ports (not like people will understand what it is or necessarily want it, but I have a feeling that well over 100 premises could benefit from it). :o

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »

Looks like a cabinet re-shelling has popped up on roadworks.org! :fingers: G.fast coming soon hopefully, because I am not aware of any other reason to why they would do it.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:55:22 PM »

@re0 G.Fast cabinet re-shelling will not shown on roadwork.org never is.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:07 PM »

G.fast coming soon hopefully, because I am not aware of any other reason to why they would do it.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but as mentioned above, most of the PCP's around here were reshelled over a year ago.   But no sign of (or hope for) G.fast. :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:11:29 AM »

@re0 G.Fast cabinet re-shelling will not shown on roadwork.org never is.
I'm sorry but I think you've got it wrong. Adding a G.fast pod won't show on roadworks.org, but a complete cabinet re-shell should since it requires a new plinth and ducting work. How do I know? A nearby cabinet was recently re-shelled (as it was the old cast iron version) and it was visible on roadworks.org stating "Reshell existing Cab with associated new plinth". There was probably also something about ducting there too but I didn't make note of it. This cabinet now has a G.fast pod fitted to it.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but as mentioned above, most of the PCP's around here were reshelled over a year ago.   But no sign of (or hope for) G.fast. :'(
Perhaps I can hope for better here. As I mentioned above, a recently re-shelled cabinet has been fitted with a G.fast pod. I do not know exactly when it was fitted, but it must have been within a few days of re-shelling.

Anyway, unfortunately the cabinet in question is not my cabinet. Mine was due to be re-shelled but it seems the planning dates have been missed (though I am aware it was subject to change). Hopefully it'll get re-shelled soon and have a nice pod on it. I am a little bit worried about what sort of speeds I'll get if it becomes available since I am on a line nearing 200m and I am pretty sure there is some aluminium in the network, but the DSL checker had promising clean estimates of the full 330/50 (with only some minor deviations for the upstream).

I am aware of 3 cabinets that currently have pods, and I am aware that there are at least 2 more cabinets that should receive them based on information I have from the DSL Checker before G.fast planned references were purged. It is quite interesting to note that this is in an area that had FTTC as part of BDUK but it seems commercially viable for G.fast...?

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »

G.fast pod got added to my local PCP too, about 6 weeks ago. My exchange isn't on the list though, and I'm 600m from cabinet - so they can keep it!
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »

Neither is my exchange listed as a pilot area, though that would imply that the non-pilot phase is quite in progress.

Still think VDSL 35b would have been better overall (especially for coverage compared to G.fast), but I wish not to debate that here. ;)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »

Yeah, I'm just salty they're not bothering with the FTTdp part of it. <100 from my underground box :(
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 12:05:07 AM »

My exchange (Grays, Essex) has NEVER appeared on any of the lists BT have released for the G.FAST rollout but it's just gone live!
My street's pod was installed in Feb. & wired in March. G.FAST showed up on BT's wholesale checker in Aug. & retail started accepting orders from Sept. 3rd.
The engineer connected me yesterday & I have to say its very good, less that 100m from pod so full 330/50 speeds attained.
I even persuaded the Openreach engineer to leave me a free MT992 modem as a 'backup' for the supplied HH6XA router.
So don't take BT's lists as gospel, they've obviously not listed all the exchanges that they're upgrading.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:16 AM »

My exchange (Grays, Essex) has NEVER appeared on any of the lists BT have released for the G.FAST rollout but it's just gone live!
So don't take BT's lists as gospel, they've obviously not listed all the exchanges that they're upgrading.
Openreach announced areas for the pilot, not for the non-pilot roll-out; there was nothing more than a mention of their intention to cover up to 6 million premises by 2020 with G.fast that I am aware of. It seems there is very little information regarding the non-pilot roll-out areas, and even those that were involved in the pilot still apparently have pods that are not enabled.

Regardless of the fact there is ongoing work in my area, there is absolutely no reference to G.fast being in progress on the Openreach website for any cabinets no matter whether they have a pod fitted or not. There is no doubt that I will be able to see this information once it has been enabled but it would be nice to know where we are at.

The engineer connected me yesterday & I have to say its very good, less that 100m from pod so full 330/50 speeds attained.
Is that line length or straight line?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 01:19:50 AM »

There is no published rollout list for G.FAST.
They moved beyond the published trial areas over 6 months ago.
Many non trial areas are now live.

Funnily enough a couple exchanges in trial areas still aren't fully live.

I've still been unable to locate a Huawei MT992 on eBay.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 02:49:08 AM »

Me neither. Though there is at least one site which has sellers selling the MT992-10 modem; Alibaba, though I won't make any direct links or recommendations on which seller to use. Nor will I delve into the specifics of using Alibaba since it is something I am not familiar with. Though even in the best case scenario it would probably cost at least around £60 (based on a seller which accepts offers upwards of US$50) for the item and shipping it to the UK with applicable VAT on top.

Anyway, even in such a case I am not aware of whether the seller would be able to supply an appropriate power supply for use within the UK.

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »

There is no published rollout list for G.FAST.
They moved beyond the published trial areas over 6 months ago.
Many non trial areas are now live.

Funnily enough a couple exchanges in trial areas still aren't fully live.

I've still been unable to locate a Huawei MT992 on eBay.
See: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/openreach-reveal-next-uk-areas-for-g-fast-ultrafast-broadband.html
The lists are regularly updated, the last update being 59 new exchanges announced in June 2018, only trouble is they're usually incomplete.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything