Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast  (Read 18410 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Cabinet re-shell for G.fast
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2019, 11:49:14 PM »

Attached Hlog. D3 has always been a bit wonky with my current modem (the other modem showed a more level D3).

I believe my line is about 190m length total. I think I might have posted somewhere what the engineer said it was but it was probably a year ago now - he might have said 180m.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2019, 11:56:11 PM »

Where to get Hlog screenshot from?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2019, 12:05:41 AM »

In my case, HG612 Modem Stats. As long as your modem has Broadcom chipset, has telnet, and allows access to "adsl" commands then it should be possible to configure the application to download and graph the stats.

You just need to either edit the "HG612_stats.ini" or launch the "HG612 Stats logging GUI.exe" since from either you can specify the IP, login credentials, etc. The you can run "HG612_current_stats.exe" for the stats to be logged and graphed.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:09:15 AM by re0 »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2019, 12:33:45 AM »

Don't think my g.fast will be getting more than 220/30 ?
You will never really know until you actually get it activated. G.fast is so sensitive to distance, and it's using frequencies much beyond that of VDSL. With the limited knowledge I have about G.fast, I would say your presumption is probably about right.

Once your pod is enabled, look at what the DSL checker says - it should give a rough idea. Like I said above, my clean range for G.fast downstream High, Low and Handback are all 330 - but I doubt this is will be attained. I will find out in a little over two weeks.

I found a thread (here) on the Sky forums, and if you review the replies by mae-3 you'll see their VDSL attenuations were not too far off yours. Now on G.fast, going by the sig, they get 212 Mbps down and 41 Mbps up throughput. While the downstream is around the bottom of their clean estimate, I would say this is probably the closest example to what may be possible for you floating around on the immediate web.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2019, 12:35:11 AM »

Here is my Hlog screenshot & cabinet 8 for my g.fast (this was taken last year before BTw removed off)

But my g.fast pod got a silver lock but expecting go live later this summer (around July 2019) and if it went live then I will ordered it via Zen Internet

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:52:49 AM by adslmax »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »

Here is my Hlog screenshot . . .

Very clean and smooth. Which tells me you have an essentially perfect line.

But my g.fast pod got a silver lock . . .

The "sliver lock" myth originates from the TBB forum.

Cabinets housing the electronics for either FTTC or G.Fast can be deployed and active with either green, black or silver locks. It really depends upon the local stock-holding for the area in question.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2019, 01:14:18 AM »

Here is my Hlog screenshot
Looks like ~250m.

cabinet 8 for my g.fast (this was taken last year before BTw removed off)
When comparing the estimates for the address back when it was planned vs now, I have found that the speeds estimated are overall about 5% less. Your case may vary.

But my g.fast pod got a silver lock
I believe the silver lock thing is a fallacy. I think mine had one from day one, so take what you will from that.

but expecting go live later this summer (around July 2019)
The Ultrafast Director at Openreach should be able to confirm that for you, if you know how to get hold of them... ;)

and if it went live then I will ordered it via Zen Internet
When it is enabled, your impacted range low esimate should be your minimum guarantee (at least Zen used this in mine). If your estimates are roughly the same as they were back when it was planned then I would highly suggest going with their 160/30 package first and wait and see what the engineer's JDSU says (presuming not a self-install when it is finally enabled). Upgrading to 330/50 is just a new contract, but downgrading to 160/30 from 330/50 is a new contract + early termination charge applies within contract period.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »

I'm considering getting a ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A for G.fast. There is a supplier in the UK who can provide it for a little under £200. Still on the fence on whether to get it... :-\ Perhaps I should wait until the install first since the MT992 probably will suffice, but I want to monitor my stats.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2019, 11:08:33 PM »

I'm considering getting a ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A for G.fast. There is a supplier in the UK who can provide it for a little under £200. Still on the fence on whether to get it... :-\ Perhaps I should wait until the install first since the MT992 probably will suffice, but I want to monitor my stats.

Hear Hear! We all want monitor the stats but not for me. I better stop stressed out! lol Don't worry I stay with FTTC. Got email from virgin just now that my order has now cancelled.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2019, 11:47:31 PM »

. . . Perhaps I should wait until the install first since the MT992 probably will suffice, but I want to monitor my stats.

The trouble is that there have been very few Huawei MT992 devices available for investigation (and none at a sensible price). Hence they are still an unknown in terms of data harvesting for circuit statistics.

There is currently one available on eBay; an opening bid of £299-99 is requested.  :o  :no:

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »

I will get one with my install but I do not fancy fiddling with it. I might ask the engineer for a "spare" to play with. :D But the sad thing is that there is only one Ethernet port now. :( This should be the limiting factor to have access to stats and having a WAN connection concurrently, unless there is a way to make it possible for using as a router as opposed to just a modem.

Still, there is the option of the ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A! It's a lot of dosh to part with but I would imagine that, based on ZyXEL's reputation, it will be more of a decent device than the DSL-AC88 with regards stats and commands.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2019, 08:11:10 PM »

As for harvesting statistics via the same interface as the link from the MT992 to the router, it really depends upon how the former has been "locked down" and how it can be unlocked. The concept of harvesting via the same interface and via a single cable has been documented by Chrysalis. It just depends upon the MT992.

There is one simple test that you could perform, please. With the MT992 powered off and without any connections to its WAN and LAN ports, press and hold the reset button. With the other hand, power on the MT992 and wait for, say, 30 seconds and then release the reset button. Give the device some "thinking time", say one minute, and then connect its LAN port to a computer whose Ethernet interface has been configured to use a static address of, say, 192.168.1.100. Now perform an nmap scan on 192.168.1.0/24. If nothing of interest is discovered, reconfigure the computer's interface to,say, 192.168.0.100 and perform an nmap scan on 192.168.0.0/24. If that also yields a negative result, try 10.0.0.100 for the computer's interface and 10.0.0.0/24 for the nmap scan.

If one of those tests returns a positive result, please then perform --

nmap -n -sV -sU -sS address_discovered

-- and share the result.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2019, 09:34:29 PM »

That was sorta the plan. :) I'll probably give it a try once I am bored with my connection and don't care about some downtime, or once I replace the modem. If you don't hear back from me by the end of the month, give me a nudge. If I don't respond, I've probably OD'd on speed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2019, 10:47:24 PM »

If you don't hear back from me by the end of the month, give me a nudge. If I don't respond, I've probably OD'd on speed.

Thank you. Will do so . . .

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »

Still considering the ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A... gathering stats is appealing to me. Perhaps learn to understand the technology a bit better and perhaps try and code something using Python to collect/graphing stats when/if time allows. :) Though I just need to absolutely confirm this CPE allows for telnet/SSH (I have emailed Zyxel, so hopefully can confirm).

To my knowledge, the DLM defaults to 3 dB and low retransmission... but my fear is that fiddly diddling with the MT992 will affect the DLM. I don't mean to say I will have it wired up each time I restart it. :D But I have no idea of the tolerances, so I don't want to mess up the DLM if I can help it. :cat:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6