Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

Cabinet re-shell for G.fast

(1/17) > >>

re0:
Hi guys and gals,

I am pretty sure I am right in saying that my cabinet is one of the old "cast iron" ones that have been existence for a long time. Up until now, it has not been touched (and there was no real need with FTTC). However, with G.fast potentially just around the corner I am now wondering how Openreach will approach the situation.

There is no doubt that it will need a re-shell due to the way it is deployed in current developments. Though what I am wondering is:

* How much distruption will it cause to existing connections?
* Are there typically any complications that could lead to delays and problems?There are already cabinets fitted with pods locally but those already had "modern" shells. Those that do have the pods fitted were on the DSLchecker as "planned" previously (before records were removed), so one could hope that it will still come to the others listed.

Regards,
re0

kitz:
They reshelled a lot of the cabs around here last year (including mine). 
Memory is hazy but I think I can recall reporting on here that my SNRM was a bit spiky the day they did it but that was most likely due to the weather conditions that day.   Can't recall there being any noticeable downtime.    My cab took a bit longer as they also put some sort of new fibre in that branched off to another one about 20m away which has some weird configuration when it comes to the location of connected users.

The surrounding area was cordoned off for several days whilst they dug up the pavement etc, but they do most of the prep work ready, then a crane lift just comes takes the old shell out and puts the new one in.     The actual 'back plane' isn't touched - or at least wasnt on mine.   I actually saw my cab minus the case open to the elements on a wet and windy day.     Can't find the post now...  but I'm sure I commented on here about it the day they did it.

re0:
Thank you for the response, kitz.

I have seen zero activity around my cabinet and can't see any works scheduled as of yet. I am hoping to pass one day and see a nice shiny new cabinet with a pod attached. Of course, in such a scenario I will have to keep my eyes peeled for when it becomes active as there is a high density of premises here that could be competing for 48 ports (not like people will understand what it is or necessarily want it, but I have a feeling that well over 100 premises could benefit from it). :o

re0:
Looks like a cabinet re-shelling has popped up on roadworks.org! :fingers: G.fast coming soon hopefully, because I am not aware of any other reason to why they would do it.

adslmax:
@re0 G.Fast cabinet re-shelling will not shown on roadwork.org never is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version