Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: £3k for gigabit fibre ?  (Read 2483 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
£3k for gigabit fibre ?
« on: August 15, 2018, 05:14:46 AM »

I am wondering if this is real ? Could I get three grand to get 1Gbps fibre from the ISP Andrews and Arnold?

Also, is that only England? If not then why not?

I don't think that amount would remotely be enough for installation? And that would have to be AA's ethernet service as nothing else would be fast enough to satisfy the government. That AA-resold BT service is very expensive I think, I can't remember.

I think the government has really not thought this through because it is not really helping small businesses if it is still so ridiculously extensive, because it is restricting them to something that they can not afford anyway.

I wonder if I could talk to someone about this? Or is this all just a complete waste of time ?

Of course, it is presumably a truly great deal for providers who just whack up their prices, get the extra money from HM government and trouser it quick courtesy of us the taxpayers. Just a way of sucking money out of us all?

re0

• Reg Member
Re: £3k for gigabit fibre ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »

I think part of this has been discussed in another topic very recently on the forum, which you may find helpful - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22238.msg380740.html.

If you're referring to the Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme (https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/), you could get up to £3k if you're a business or £500 as a resident (note: I think residents can only claim as part of a group while businesses can claim both individually and in a group).

I think the key sentence here is "gigabit capable connection". I believe it doesn't matter what speed you opt for, but what does matter is that you are installing a network which is capable of gigabit speeds. So the voucher would be valid for any connection classed as being able to deliver 1 Gbps.

The incentive is available in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Of course, the incentive provided from the government is not meant to cover it all anyway, but certainly make it more affordable. In some cases, in reference to FTTPoD, it can make a lot cheaper when you have people submitting linked orders and using vouchers.

If you are wanting a service from AAISP, you should contact them as they will be aware of the costs and whether there are any incentives available when taking their service. Furthermore, they should know what should qualify you for the government scheme. You could have even asked AAISP for a FTTPoD quote, but I know they have stopped doing estimates (because of ridiculously high estimates returned) so you can only really hope for a leased line from them at the moment.

If you were looking for a Gigabit-capable service, you could try https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/ or https://www.amvia.co.uk/ who can even give you estimates for FTTPoD if you wanted. I am not sure about where to go for leased lines, but I imagine someone else can shed some light on it.

I would spend a bit more time looking but I am in a rush today.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:46:50 AM »

Thank you Re0 so much for a generous reply!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »

You can use this voucher with standard FTTP (from A&A if need be) even though they do (I believe, no time to check) 160Mb on their FTTP/G.Fast services.

As re0 states this only needs to be gigabit capable, regardless of the product ordered. This covers certain types of wireless deployments also.

The voucher can't be used for residential orders, and you can't order FTTPoD unless you are connected to an FTTC cabinet.
This won't help you if you are wedded to A&A.

Madness if you ask me.

In the other thread about whitespace someone from the company (very kindly) came along to explain a brand new tech currently capable of 50Mb up and down which should be 100Mb up and down next year. It has under 10ms latency across the link.

You dismissed it out of hand (sorry but the way you did so was very rude in my opinion) simply because you can't order it with A&A.

I have no idea why you are so wedded to using 4 x bonded twisted pairs which are God knows how many km's long, paying however many hundreds a month for the privilege, to get the same speed the average Joe can get for £25/month.

If I was in that (I feel really bad for rural internet users) unfortunate position I would bite the hands off anyone who offered a new tech to help my poor internet.

A&A may be a great ISP.
So great they are worth the cost of 4 bonded lines for under 10/2Mb when other options are available they most certainly are not.

You dismiss some of the fantastic wireless solutions out of hand so quickly. Some of the wireless solutions have better latency than your twisted pairs, with gigabit backhauls and guaranteed bandwidth/throughput per connected link.

If you are absolutely insistent on sticking with A&A then your options are none, literally none. They will likely remain none for some years to come.

They don't even sell FTTPoD officially. Their only mention of it is on RevK's blog where he says talk to sales about it, and we'll talk you in to buying something else because it's a rubbish product. Isn't that for the customer to decide?

/rant over.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:04:51 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »

Well, Heasta (served by Broadford exchange) doesn't have FTTPoD available anyway from what I can see. So it would not be an option. Plus, I have a feeling that you are on an EO line (not even connected to a cabinet) so you can't even benefit from FTTC (plus it is too far away).

You should really consider alternative technologies, though I personally would never consider satellite. You have to think how much a leased line is going to cost, which I imagine is a lot just for the monthly rental putting aside installation costs. I certainly do not believe I am qualified enough to comment on the value aspect because I have never delved into leased lines.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:39:24 PM »

Weaver has said he can get a good 3G, possibly even a good 4G signal with an outside antenna. I actually found some unlimited 4G packages the other day, which I posted on a thread somewhere here. I personally would perhaps keep 1 ADSL line for when the 4G is down and use the 4G as the main internet access, it's got to be cheaper and a lot quicker.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »

MODS; I formally ask mods to lock or preferably delete this thread as I had zero intention of starting a pointless flame war.

j0hn, I appear to have offended you. That is regrettable. I have _many_ reasons for my choice and my priorities are not not yours, but we are all different. If was was rude to you, then I regret this, it was unintentional. I was impressed by our white space man who came to do a sales pitch and in that thread offered him assistance or have you forgotten that bit, because as I believe I said there are many who could seriously benefit. That thread is off-topic here. I want bit-carrier solutions to resell so I can have my choice of ISP. I do dismiss wireless out of hand, as is my right. It is very helpful technology for many but does not fit in with my personal choices, but this will be completely irrelevant for many, with good reasons. Burakkucat for example makes different choices for ISP than I do. I do not feel a need to slag anyone else off for their choice of ISP. :-)

Seriously, I would be very grateful if you would email your thoughts to RevK as you might secure some improvements for all of us.

Some years ago I wrote a piece explaining what I thought was excellent (for me) about AA and a lot of it may not have been at all obvious, I can't be sure, and a lot of it seems to be different from people's oft-repeated expectations about AA only being about support and being expensive (which I am not sure it actually is, but I am no expert), as for example comparing it to TalkTalk retail would be stupid because they offer a completely different range of services and benefits. TalkTalk offers a POTS for example. Perhaps someone could dig that out for us.

If you feel an overwhelming need to slag someone off, then I suggest that you do not control it, but direct it at the Scottish Government or UK Government who have failed completely to give BT the funding needed to level the playing field, help expensive rural users and upgrade those most in need first. :-)

Another suggested target for a good slagging off would be the hotel down the road that is paying for ISDN still. Which I found out about today and thought that was hilarious - choosing 128kbps.

There will not be any further correspondence in respect of this. It will serve no purpose you trying to analyse my choices, attempt to alter them or flame me further. I had a serious question to ask, trying to understand these vouchers and what they are all about. An opportunity for unsolicited slagging off of me and AA is off-topic.

--

@Ronski - unfortunately, 4G does not seem very reliable here, even 3G has some outages for days. When the mains goes off, the base station goes down so it is useless as a backup technology. But I have seriously considered using 4G. I am still looking into this. I can get 4G if I am near the window. Problem is my bed is at the west end of the bedroom, the window and the base station is at the east. I am possibly too low to clear the window sill, but raising the iPad up does not help, so a bit mystified. Perhaps the basestation is actually too far to the north, ie left, don't have my glasses so I cannot see it.

@re0: :-) it is up to me as to whether or not I consider alternative technologies. Why do you not think I have already done so? I do not need censure in this matter. Make sense? These posts do not convey tone, so no anger nor intention to insult intended, just a statement of fact. :-)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 12:02:45 AM »

Locking the thread before tempers flare.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything