Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Running ethernet  (Read 4745 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Running ethernet
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 12:33:25 AM »

@Sevenlayermuddle  - now there you have got me. Simple answer is none, yet.  But technology changes and new opportunities keep catching me out. So intentionally making it completely over the top as I don't want to have to redo things. No idea what things will be like in five years or so. So guilty as charged sir.

If I had to guess about the future, then my guess might be sync or some kind or backups across the LAN. Backups have been a nightmare all my life. Storage servers. I would like to park some kit in the wrong building because of fire.

When I had a terrible house fire in 2003 I would have lost all my main computers and all my data had it not been for the good fortune that they were not in the house at the time. I had moved everything to an office in Broadford then because of catastrophic building work renovating the entire house so that is why they were not there when the fire broke out. On the day of the fire, I was on the mainland with Janet recovering from surgery the day before. When I got out of hospital a week later, Janet had been to Broadford and had got my main server out of the office and out it in the back of the car, with a keyboard, mouse monitor etc. and she then drove the gubbins and patient down to my parents’ house in England with an overnight stop at a hotel in the moors in Westmoorland.

So I have learned that it is good to have your stuff in more than one building. Currently backups to the internet are great, but they are slow. If multiple machines are backing up to the internet at the same time then that is not good, the crapfulness of Apple's backup protocol design are revealed.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »

Would you consider one of these?  as they will be immune from electrical noise etc.
The cables could be pre terminated so would be just plug and play at up 10Gb speeds, up to 550m  :)

https://www.apple.com/us_smb_484614/shop/product/HE553LL/A/promise-sanlink2-thunderbolt-2-to-8-gbps-fibre-channel-adapter

Robin

P.S. You can find similar products on Amazon for far less, that do the same without Apple's markup prices.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:49:13 AM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 03:51:22 AM »

Robin, that is a great tip. Since I am an Apple shop, then I definitely want to read up about these.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »

Would you consider one of these?  as they will be immune from electrical noise etc.
The cables could be pre terminated so would be just plug and play at up 10Gb speeds, up to 550m  :)

https://www.apple.com/us_smb_484614/shop/product/HE553LL/A/promise-sanlink2-thunderbolt-2-to-8-gbps-fibre-channel-adapter
Just for clarity, that link points to the Fibre Channel, not the 10GE one.   Looks like normal 10GE SFP+ ports so should support any sort of suitable cable.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »

Good point... I did find out that those on the Apple site, were earlier versions, later ones have up to 10 (or more)Gb capacity, probably a bit over kill.
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresssel_10gbeadapter.html

Robin
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »

The point is that Fibre Channel is almost exclusively used to network storage devices and HBAs, not for more conventional LANs.  It's not Ethernet.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything