Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Running ethernet  (Read 4743 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Running ethernet
« on: August 17, 2018, 07:14:10 AM »

I am thinking of running ethernet properly, but I don't want to do a not of damage to woodwork everywhere, because our house is entirely done with wood panelling, in 2001-2003, in the traditional highland style.

I just so wish that I had put ducting in back then when I was doing it all. I don't know what on earth I was doing and why I did not do this.

Is there such a thing as genuinely attractive surface-mounted ducting that could take ethernet cables, chunky ones?

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Running ethernet
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »

What do you want to run ethernet for exactly, a WAP upstairs? Maybe given the flexibility in location you could choose somewhere most suitable for dropping a wire, an ethernet cable of the right colour in a crevice could be quite unobtrusive.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »

Something like this...?   

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Aerials_Index/Dline_30_15_All/index.html

I think I have seen it in B&Q too, though can’t find it on their website.  Might have had different profiles too.

Worth confessing that whilst I have never tried that brand,  other self-adhesive trunking has not worked for me, quickly falling off the wall.  Alternatively, I’d be worried it stuck so hard as to damage the wood if you ever have to remove it.

pxr5

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:18:22 AM »

I've used that ducting linked above and I did buy it from B&Q a couple of years ago. I ran it around the bottom of skirting board and blends in very well. Easy to use and fit too. I managed to run 1 ethernet and 1 speaker cable in each one.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »

Weaver, if you are running Ethernet cable, what category cable will you run?
I was going to pop up a new post to see if I should just run cat6 as I'm in a position to nearly start pulling cables in my house.
I have a lot of creaking floor boards and need new carpets so I'll be running under the floorboards as the carpets get lifted and the floorboards get resecured.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »

As discussed, I ought to run fibre optics really for future proof ness to a small switch, but I don't know what I am doing so would have to get a bit of serious handholding. Otherwise it would be one or two cat7 cables for future proofing and if I can I would like to put string through so that I could pull a different cable through one day.

I need to check whether or not the space inside this ducting is generous so I could pull thick cat7 and chunky plug through. I have no idea about the size, big is good.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »

Don't bother with thick and awkward CAT7 cables. Standard CAT5e can do 10Gbps (10GBase T) links up to 45m, which is a very long way inside a home  :)
CAT5e is easy to hide as it comes in all colours and can be stapled easily if required.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »

I just use CAT7 everywhere despite its awkwardness because of rf interference immunity and maybe rf crap coming from the mains  :( You are right about CAT5e and I am just paranoid. I should really just lean about fibre and be done with it I think.

If I can work out how to get it out of the house then I would like to run some to three or four other small buildings and actually 100m might be not enough so definitely fibre optics then. If I put a WAP in the stable say then I can get hold of janet if I need help but she has no 3G in a particular spot. But it is a big load of hassle, real pain. Have to get the cable to a suitable point where it can leave the house, the hardest bit, then plastic tough blue pipe laid across to other buildings, just a bit of a pain after that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:40:41 PM by Weaver »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »

If you need to have something that will keep you going for the next 30 to 40 years install CAT7 - otherwise you you are wasting time and effort.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »

I just use CAT7 everywhere despite its awkwardness because of rf interference immunity and maybe rf crap coming from the mains  :( You are right about CAT5e and I am just paranoid. I should really just lean about fibre and be done with it I think.

If you had enough RF in the house to mess up ethernet signals on CAT5e I doubt any other devices would work and the more pressing concern would be not getting cooked by it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 05:45:41 PM »

Perhaps the time has come to consider an all optical LAN.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »

@johnson True. I think one would only be concerned about rf if an ethernet cable was touching some interference source such as dirty mains or something. I am just being paranoid, as I say.

But I was asking about the physical business of ducting, cable choice is off topic. If I put pull string in and I get it right, then I could always pull new cable through some day. A dress rehearsal would be necessary to prove it.

We could have a chat about optic fibre in another thread because that would be very helpful indeed.

@Burrakkucat - Indeed, and some self education required.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »

I need to check whether or not the space inside this ducting is generous so I could pull thick cat7 and chunky plug through. I have no idea about the size, big is good.

To the best of my knowledge, the trunking to which I linked has a clip-on cover, so no need to pull the plugs through.   As long as the cable fits, you just reattatch the cover.   But do check that before ordering!

Echo other comments re adequacy of Cat 5e, or even just Cat 5.   My home is wired with a mixture of cat 5 and 5e, generally carrying gigabit.   Anytime I have checked re-tx stats on any of my ethernet devices, they have, with one exception, always been absolutely zero, even after weeks or months   That exception was traced to hardware failure of a cheap Netgear switch, which manifested as data corruptions.  Using  Cat 7 (or even fibre) would not have fixed my broken switch, I’d still have got the corruptions.   That said, Cat 7 will certainly do no harm. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 12:00:20 AM »

The moment I can get a decent switch, I will be doing 10G ethernet from building to building. Already a few WAPs need a backhaul that is more than 1Gb, so they have an interface that makes use of either one of the new intermediate sub 10G standards - 2.5 is it and 5Gb - or two 1Gb cables in the case of the Cisco 1850 iirc. This is because they can throw out 1.3 Gbps theoretically. I would think that some dual radio WAPs that can do 5GHz on both radios can chuck out a serious lot of stuff.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:45 AM »

The moment I can get a decent switch, I will be doing 10G ethernet from building to building.
Hoping this is not too personal a question but if not, what is the application that will be generating 10Gbps of traffic?
Pages: [1] 2

anything