Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Please review my line stats  (Read 1453 times)

impossible

• Just arrived
Please review my line stats
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:33:17 PM »

Hello there,

Hoping to get an opinion on my line stats.

I have uploaded them to pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/RWnEh4H7

Seems like I am on a ECI cab, when first signing upto VDSL I was able attain a downstream sync of 80Mbps, obiously after more neightbours have jumped on my sync speeds have dropped.

I'm looking at my stats and see that I am sync at 69.3 Mbps but am only able to transmit at 58.6 Mbps. This seems to have been the case for the last 18 months.

I have downloaded DSLstats but unsure what data to post.

Ideas into why?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Please review my line stats
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »

The output returned by a adsl info --vendor command would allow us to positively identify the manufacturer of the cabinet based DSLAM.

Looking at the data you have provided I see that the circuit last synchronised at 58.6/20 Mbps DS/US . . . hence I am puzzled by your statement that you "sync at 69.3 Mbps but am only able to transmit at 58.6 Mbps." I sense that you have misinterpreted the data. You need to look at the line that begins "Bearer: 0," as that is your circuit's current synchronisation speed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:03:57 PM »

The band plan would imply that it is an ECI cabinet since the band plan U2 and D3 end at 2770 and 4083 likewise.

From a quick skim, I can see that you've got interleaving enabled on your line to deal with errors (and it's doing a good job as most of the errors are corrected as noticed in the FECs). Though this can take a small chunk out of your sync speed if memory serves me.

You not being able to sync at the full 80 any more is mostly because of crosstalk. It is not entirely unusual to lose 20+ Mbps from crosstalk (sometimes a lot more when referring to the attainable rate), especially on a cabinet that has a high amount of subscribers.

I could graph your data but it's a bit late at the moment. Plus, seeing as you have the ability to graph from DSLstats then I won't bother. Though personally I would recommend graphing the current stats with HG612 modem stats (https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm) if you have a compatible device because it is less fiddling.

The attainable figure is what the modem believes is possible with current conditions. The modem can sometimes be a bit overzealous with the attainable. It may show a much higher figure than what you sync at because of the presence of interleaving (I am not sure, but I think that this is the case).

Anyway, I am going to take a wild guess that you are about 500 meters away from your cabinet.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

impossible

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »

Output from adsl info --vendor

> adsl info --vendor
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 20559 Kbps, Downstream rate = 69348 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 58659 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id:      IFTN:0xb206
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xb206
ChipSet SerialNumber:   5501868713

I assume that the text in red relates to a ECI cab?

I assumed that my "line" was capable of 69348 Kbps (line in green) and that I was "synced" at 58659 Kbps, have I confused myself with ADSL IP profiles etc?

Thanks for compiling my stats into images, I think this one may be the easiest to view

Imp

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:21:00 PM »

IFTN is ECI.

Looks like your graphed stats have been cut off half way through the band plan. Perhaps those need to be recompiled.

I assumed that my "line" was capable of 69348 Kbps (line in green) and that I was "synced" at 58659 Kbps, have I confused myself with ADSL IP profiles etc?
Please check my previous reply. But yes, you are sync'd at ~58 Mbps. But I do not know if you have confused yourself with IP profiles (but the stats are nothing to do with those); IP profile information can be found at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm if you wanted to know.

impossible

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 11:27:12 PM »

Thank you both for your replies, I will look into reproducing the graphs. the link to http://www.ronski.me.uk/downloads/HG612_Modem_Stats_Programs.zip isnt working currently.

I swapped my modem out yesterday.

I was using a TP link 9890 (Lantiq chipset) and moved over to a Zyxel 8924-B10 - seems like the TPLink may have been a better match.

Would I be wasting my time to ask my ISP to line into training mode since my modem swap?

When I had a visit from BT last year (my master socket went pop and was replaced) I was told my line length was 320m so your 500m guess was in the ball park.

Imp

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 11:45:33 PM »

I imagine it is not compatible then. You can use DSLstats to capture graphs by clicking the camera icon (which is located somewhere under the graph) and it will store snapshots in the snapshots directory defined in the configuration.

Before taking screenshots, I would advise checking "Include with bitloading" under "SNR per tone". Furthermore, you need to adjust the tone range by going to the "Change tone range button" to ensure that the snapshots include the whole range of data for all the tones. I can't think of much else at the moment because it's a bit late.

Why do you think the TP-Link may have been a better match? Please explain. Was it something to do with performance?

You could request the ISP to do a DLM reset. Though it can take some weeks after a reset before the DLM has picked paremeters that are most suitable.

I can see that my 500 meters was a little out. :D I did think afterwards that perhaps it may be a bit less.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »

Thanks for compiling my stats into images, I think this one may be the easiest to view

b*cat failed to check the input data for consistency with what the graphing code expected (to produce the plots). Hence I had given you some junk.  :paperbag:

I've now replaced the junk with the correct plots. You will know where to find them . . . same place.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.