• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Heroes
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

OFGS

I give up 6 7 hrs :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »

I'm afraid that updating seems to have broken it completely.
The references to tapatalk were a red-herring,, because it still didn't work with tapatalk completely uninstalled.     
From research, it would appear the facebook plug in has a completely different php file to load when tapatalk is installed.   I think the reason I couldnt uninstall was it was looking for that file.

This isn't my code and therefore I am limited to what I can do.   
From what I can see it uses standard Facebook embed code, supplied directly from Facebook.   I've asked for assistance on the SMF help forum as I've spent all day on this without any solution.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:01:30 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »

The odd thing is that it did work for some of us.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »

OFGS

I give up 6 7 hrs :(

Personally I regard that as a pretty heroic effort.   :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »

No one seems to have had a problem with it before - or at least not said anything when its been used before, so it seems odd that afaik it only started yesterday. There hasnt been any forum updates for a while, the only thing I have done recently on the forum side of things was to run a database optimise, and I can't see how that could have affected anything.

It remains that there is some issue with the .xhtml, but after spending some time looking at that, I think that may be a red herring too.    The embed code is provided by facebook and showing as having some sort of w3 errors...  but when I looked into that its quite common to get those sorts of errors when you embed plug-ins into various forum & blog software.   I know it happens with google ads, paypal etc too as they tend to provide generic code that then is inserted into whatever type of document declaration.    There is a supposed cheap and nasty type of fix and that is to declare a different type of header, but I certainly do not want to be changing the document header declared by the software as that could break other things.  (That's even if I knew where to change it :D
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »

Personally I regard that as a pretty heroic effort.   :)

hahaha how apt....  but I certainly don't feel like that as I don't like to admit defeat ...  and even more unheroic is the fact its not working at all now.
Waiting to see if anyone comes up with a solution over at SMF.
The YouTube one still works perfectly fine and I'm wondering if it could be something Facebook may have changed at their end.   I know a lot of apps have stopped working properly recently and they are also changing the sdk.   
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 01:51:02 AM »

Kite it claims to be xhtml but luckily it actually is not, because with that bad syntax, the final / missing before the close > in every link element etc then it would just completely fail in every browser because in real xhtml errors cause termination at that point with an error page in my experience. It is quite a general syntactical brokenness. Someone does not know what the rules for writing xhtml are but luckily does not know how to set up the server to advertise it as xhtml either so the two bugs cancel one another out with the result that the content is just html and a tag soup complete mess. The designers would need to keep using the w3c validator until the get zero errors. But as it is they are just winging it and while it seems to work in some browsers they are non the wiser. This is very very common, people seeing references to something called xhtml, thinking that it is somehow a good thing while not understanding it and so a complete dog's breakfast is the result. They maybe copy snippets of markup from somewhere, while not understanding them and then they just mix it all together.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:40:21 PM by Weaver »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »

Phew thought it was just me that could only see 2 lines of text as I am using latest FF in high contrast mode and that tends to break things. :)
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »

Kite it claims to be xhtml but luckily it actually is not, because with that bad syntax, the final / missing before the close > in every link element etc then it would just completely fail in every browser because in real xhtml errors cause termination at that point with an error page in my experience. It is quite a general syntactical brokenness. Someone does not know what the rules for writing xhtml are but luckily does not know how to set up the server to advertise it as xhtml either so the two bugs cancel one another out with the result that the content is just html and a tag soup complete mess. The designers would need to keep using the w3c vaidator until the get zero errors. But as it is they are just winging it and while it seems to work in some browsers they are non the wiser. This is very very common, people seeing references to something called xhtml, thinking that it is somehow a good thing while not understanding it and so a complete dog's breakfast is the result. They maybe copy snippets of markup from somewhere, while not understanding them and then they just mix it all together.

The SMF core is fully W3c compliant for xhtml.   Unfortunately where it breaks is when you add 3rd party code. :(
By 3rd party code I mean plugins such as official code supplied by Facebook, Google, Paypal etc.

These 3rd parties tend to supply generic code - rather than xhtml or html5 or html transitional etc specific code.    If you search its the same 3rd party generic code that causes W3c issues for not just SMF, but other forum software and blog software such as WP.   

Sometimes the site owner is able to amend snippets of the 3rd party code to stop W3c errors  (I did exactly this with the paypal button), but others prove more difficult.  Yesterday I spent an amount of time trying to resolve the google code but despite trying several suggestions failed.  Time and time again I saw many frustrated website owners trying to find a solution for the generic supplied google code.

I reported the FB plugin bug yesterday and someone is trying to replicate this and find a solution.   :fingers:   Whilst they may be able to solve the bug why the videos aren't showing, there's no guarantee that they will be able to fix the W3c error, even though I have mentioned it. 

-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »

I understand your point about facebook now, my apologies I didn't get it. Yes that is a bit of nuisance when ads or other third party snippets come in but are broken. As you probably know, to be xhtml though the server has to serve it up with the xhtml mime type not the normal html one and it presumably is not doing that because then I would expect browsers to fail and report the bad syntax, unless their behaviour has changed since my day.

Apologies if you know all this already - don't know if you have used xhtml before, so very sorry if I am telling you stuff that is already completely obvious to you.

I served up true xhtml on a website and had to change the web server's behaviour to get this to happen.

A tool could be written to parse tag soup and output correct xhtml. But in fact the html-tidy program will do this for you, it can convert garbage into valid xml thus fixing the junk. I used to use it a lot.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »

I don't think the video plays properly on an iPad - at least it doesn't on mine. All I get is music & a blank (black) screen.  :(

I've just been able to pick up on this thread again, and now Kitz' first post does work.

@Kitz, I don't know what you have changed between my previous post and this one, but whatever it was has worked! Thanks.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »

@westie it works now because it opens in Facebook, rather than the video being embedded.

@kitz I had issues with both this one and the 40mph wheel chair, both not long after they were posted. My issue on both cases was I had sound but no video, I just clicked the button in the bottom right to open it on its original Web page and it worked. Android tablet using chrome.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 11:43:37 PM »

I can now see a link in the first post. Excellent!

Recap: As I think I pointed out folks, I could not even see that there was anything there at all, not even anything to try clicking on before, never mind opening a video successfully or unsuccessfully, never got that far.
Pages: 1 2 [3]