Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do i set things up to dl films  (Read 5140 times)

robinsteele

• Reg Member
How do i set things up to dl films
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »

Hello,ive just joined this forum and am looking for help setting up various things to do the aforementioned task.

I dont know anything about doing it but i will state a couple of problems ive had so far.

My d/l speed is 5873  and my u/l speed is 370 by the way , on wired talktalk router.

I have been advised to use a real torrent client called "utorrent".It asks me in the window "speed "guide" to fill in a couple of boxes and ive no idea what to enter,and the help section doesnt tell me either

Connection type=xx/640 etc.i dont know which option to choose in there
Current port=I dont know what to put in there.it self istalls a number like 42360 which comes up with an error saying its not open.Ive read in the help file that i need to open up a port and ive no idea what to do.

Also,if the correct settings are installed,is all i need to do is go on torrenz.com and download a movie.Is it that easy

thanx

rob
Always looking for freebie HQ

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: How do i set things up to dl films
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »

Not that youve actually said this.. but I do have to point out that the site doesnt condone illegal downloads.

However as regards to opening up ports it depends on which router you have.  TT most commonly uses the Huawei SmartAX MT882 or the Huawei HG520.

Depending on which router you have - check out portforward.com and follow the links through for your router and application

eg from here:-

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Choose your router
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/SmartAX-MT882/SmartAX-MT882index.htm

Choose the application
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/SmartAX-MT882/Utorrent.htm

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »

Just a brief thing about ports....

If your router has a NAT firewall, which most do - out bound internet requests do not require any ports to be opened.

If you are using any program to request data from the internet, be it load a web page or begin a download then that works fine without opening ports.

Ports are normally only required to be set up as open when you want to accept incoming traffic which uses those ports.

For example if someone is trying to access a service on your computer, the NAT firewall will block this as it is unsolicited traffic. Only when you intent for people to request data from you do you need to open up ports.

Another feature almost all routers and a variety of P2P and other programs support is uPNP (universal plug and play) whereby the application can negotiate with the router to open ports dynamically.

In other words, if the program wants to accept incoming connections and the program and router support uPnP then the router will automatically open the ports specified by the program.

Your reference to Torrent clients means P2P downloads, which are notoriously unreliable given the cr*p which people distribute using P2P and also given the way in which ISPs throttle P2P traffic.

On that basis if you intent to use your connection to download GB's of films rather than buy the DVD on eBay for a couple of quid  then I can only hope your not too dissapointed.

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:43:05 PM »

thanks for the replies guys.i was only looking into it and after trying the pages kitz said it all went to pot,mainly because its all too complicated.when i changed my ip settings i couldnt access the net to see the rest of the guide,so ive reset everything in order to get back on google.
i dont want to promote of do illegal stuff on kitz forum,i didnt know,so maybe delete the whole lot as im not doing it.

thank

rob

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:41:29 AM »

My d/l speed is 5873  and my u/l speed is 370
Connection type=xx/640 etc.i dont know which option to choose in there

Current port=I dont know what to put in there.it self istalls a number like 42360 which comes up with an error saying its not open.

Hi Rob.
Firstly let me explain, it is not illegal to use uTorrent or any other type of torrent client.

However, torrent clients should only be used to download material of which is "legal" and you have both the right or permission to do so.
Many industries use them to transfer large files from people-to-people on a daily basis.
Ordinary people also use them for transferring personal files such as weddings, birthdays or many other type of personal media (which is what it was originally designed for).

As your u/l speed is 370k
Then you would chose the Connection type=xx/256k

Which port to use can be awkward and you may need to try a few to find one that works with your PC, mainly because you may be choosing a port that is already being used by another existing program, but yes, the best way is to set-up "Port Forwarding" although usually any in the region of 40000+ should be suitable.

A good guide to setting up uTorrent can be found here with step-by-step instructions, although "most" of the default settings are fine.
http://www.utorrent.com/setup_guide.php

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 02:37:12 AM »

Hi oldfogy

I can see the advantage of torrents now,but filmwise im gonna take soms advice and get stuff through ebay.I have
downloaded a few songs off of limeware,thats as far as ive went with non essential downloads.

thanks

rob

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »

Good luck Robin.

I don't use eBay, but always make sure you check-out the persons ratings before parting with your cash.

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:12:35 AM »

Good luck Robin.

I don't use eBay, but always make sure you check-out the persons ratings before parting with your cash.

hi oldfogy,

would this be you in the video tutorial.ill need to trawl the net now for a suitable speed reducer and magnifying glass so i can watch the video

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1223619/how_to_open_port_for_torrent_downloading/

rob
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:09:36 PM by robinsteele »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:54:08 PM »

That's a great clip Robin - absolutely loved the modern version of the Grieg piano concerto... now where on earth can I find that?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »

Grieg piano concerto... now where on earth can I find that?

Open your recorder software and press record at the same time whilst playing the clip.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 08:01:29 PM »

What recorder software?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

Hi Floydoid.

Sorry for the late reply but I have not been around for a couple of days.

>> What recorder software?

Any software that you have installed on your PC that is capable of recording.
Although not the best by far, but there is Windows Recorder, although I believe it can "initially" be awkward to record anything longer than about xx seconds.

So whatever software you have installed, open it and also open the link above.
Press "record" on your recorder software and press "play" from the site above.
Now it should record whatever sound is being played at the same time as you are listening to it.

You could also check your internet temp files because don't forget it has to DL onto your PC also at the same time and should remain there until you clean out the temp files.