Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Domain registration on the cheap cheap cheap  (Read 3519 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Domain registration on the cheap cheap cheap
« on: August 16, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »

My wife's business owns dozens of domains which I want to protect so I am looking for a very cheap domain registrar. I just want to hog them basically, to hang on to them, and that is all.

Anyone got any recommendations for extreme cheapness and nasty?

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Domain registration on the cheap cheap cheap
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »

depends if they are .uk or .coms.
.coms are more expensive than .uks

i use 123-reg for my .co.uk domains

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »

Hi

There are plenty of registrants to move/buy domains from.

I have just checked 123reg renewal prices (https://www.123-reg.co.uk/domain-names/cheap-domain-names.shtml) and we are actually cheaper, so perhaps I need to review our prices

When I say cheaper, it is only after offers have expired, then it reverts to normal prices.

Domain costs, are a funny thing to be honest, as the profit margins are so small, and people would think nothing of paying over the odds for say a can of cola (which maybe the same profit margin as domain).  Also you have to consider that as a provider, the more you agree to pay monies upfront, the bigger the discount they have, however, the more domains held means more systems are needed, so it is a fine line on domains

This is one reason why I do not spend time on domains, it so easily goes past the point of costing us monies, so if a client wishes to buy/move domains to us, its fine, if they chose not too, fine as well.

We offer the same as large providers though, domain registrations for over 600 extentions, full dns service, where the client is in full control over of dns. They could opt for shared hosting as well, email etc... from our billing platform, the client is in full control over domain, so if say they wished to move the domain to another, they do not have to contact us, they can do this themselves directly from within billing platform.  Any issues, they can open a support ticket or for those that know me, contact myself directly.  Lastly, we are aimed at businesses and not general public.

Many thanks

John

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »

those 123 prices are pretty bad, try dynadot weaver.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »

Yep, 123reg actually look to have pretty poor renewal prices. Dyanadot looks to have some nice pricing, and I imagine that if features and support don't matter (as you want to "hog" the domains) then I can't many forsee issues. They seem to be cheaper than Namecheap too, who are another bargain bucket registrar.

I do not know the specific terms for their whois gaurd (including pricing), but I imagine if they are business domains then perhaps there is no issue having your contact information (such as name, address, etc.) on the whois? There are general caveats for different domains (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_privacy) in reference to domain privacy, and then you also have inconsistencies across the board as some registrars provide protection on some domains and others do not.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

anything