Broadband Related > ISPs

AA and aastatus.net

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
I see exactly why Andrews and Arnold has set up a completely separate domain aastatus.net for news, announcements and info about disruption outages and faults. But they are putting adverts for new services or changes there which I think is a really bad idea as people will not know to go there and that is what the main site is for: surely news and changes to service offerings, prices and so on should be advertised by links on the main home page of their own normal aa.net site. Any way, that criticism is by the by.

I was wondering why they can't simply do say status.aa.net which would be better because people know aa.net and know where to go and also can trust any sub domain as bring genuine. It is a bit of a minor whinge but as a general principle I do think it is the best thing if everything is routed from one well trusted and recognised domain.

Now the obvious answer is that having completely separate domain like aaststus.net makes sure that any cockup or outage will not affect aastatus and you will always be able to go there. But I wondered - is that really essential? Is it the only way of doing things?

Can something like status.aa.net be done with real redundancy and totally independent kit? Say aa.net is provided by multiple dns servers some of which are in the Netherlands say and run for AA by someone else and support.aa.net is provided in a similar alien server hosted in the same fashion, then would that be good enough? If the first main top AA dns server for aa.net that is in AA-land were to go down, then clients would just use the non-AA working ones, no? Could support.aa.net be set up to be defined by glue? Does that even make sense / is it possible? (I don't know what on earth I am talking about.) I wonder if that normal glue publishing mechanism can publicise a domain which is one more level down?

Just musing. Trying to understand how things work, not trying to disrupt things to make unnecessary extra work.

kitz:
Yes you can point a sub domain to a different server or location if that's what you're asking.

Years ago I ran an ftp server and pointed a subdomain to my home IP.   I got my web hosts to do the config but I believe its a simple procedure to just changes the settings in C-Panel or whatever management software you use as I've seen where it can be done when poking around in WHM

Weaver:
Kitz you can do so in glue too? No reason why not?

d2d4j:
Hi

Sub domain glue is not generally setup.

Sub domain is a sub domain of a domain, where the domain is glued.

You could glue a sub domain if you were a very big, but why, when you have glued the domain would you want to. It is simple and least cost to create an A record in the zone file and the hosting platform takes care of the transitional dns records

I am sorry for shortness, just tired and hot/humid here

Many thanks

John

Weaver:
Hi john, I am told, it is very humid around here but we are really high up.

Brevity is a virtue, one which I do not possess :-)

Thanks for your explanation!

I was trying to understand the resilience argument.

If say the AA authoritative dns server goes out to lunch then we could have another company hosting an alternative authoritative server, so don't need my glue idea, but I wonder if they were concerned that a bad update from AA could pollute that second server with a bad config, it's not just about it being down. Would that be an issue? If you are trying to think of all possible risks, not just 'downness'. Janet once jumped into a pit that was full of mud and water because her evil small cousin 'told her too'. She was not faulty, just given evil instructions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version