Broadband Related > ISPs

AA email anti-spam - problem with blacklist rules

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
My anti-spam blacklist blocking rules do not seem to be working. I have a load of per-from-address blacklist rules set up for Mrs Weaver, yet she is suddenly getting a lot of spam. This is not good at all, I was expecting all of the matching stuff to be blocked at the server. A load of stuff is being spam-marked though and put into the junk folder, but we are still paying to download it all.

I asked support about this. It's as if the blacklist rules have just failed or I have done something wrong, yet I have not changed anything apart from the odd recent addition to the list. I checked that I have not stupidly set a match expression choosing 'allow', so as to whitelist something when I wanted to blacklist it with 'block'.

Specific example:

* example from = -any-@e.vineyardvines.com eg should block email@e.vineyardvines.com

* example subject = "Welcome to Dating" and "Adult Dating" - rule is : "Block: subject: %Dating%" so intended to block anything with the word "Dating" in the subject line. Upper/lower case given in the rule does happen to match the actual case in the spam, but I would prefer to achieve a case-insensitive match. I tried multiple case variants as I had no idea how it works. I have not seen evidence of a failure due to (unwanted) possible case sensitive matching causing an unwanted match-failure.

Does anyone know what might be going on? Have I done something wrong or is there a bug?

Is it possible there is a bug due to the large number of rules?

chenks:
what did AA support say?

Weaver:
They haven't got back to me yet.

jelv:
Have you looked in the headers to see if there are other email addresses such as Reply-to which don't match your rules? I'm not sure of the precedence that AA's system uses when looking to see which headers are present and then checked.

Weaver:
Sorry jelv? I am being a bit slow - explain the reply-to bit? Are you thinking they used a different header type?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version