Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Copper line test message - cwcc@a.3 gone bad  (Read 4952 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Copper line test message - cwcc@a.3 gone bad
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 05:27:35 PM »

btw, q: The 'loop' is I take it just the normal copper pair? Or something else?

Yes, the normal metallic pathway, the copper pair. I used quotation marks around the phrase, "Loop (Rectified)", which I copied directly from the system message that you showed in an earlier post. That phrase is a little ambiguous . . . it could be implying that with every item of CPE disconnected from the circuit the pair was still showing as looped (low resistance, A-wire to B-wire) and that semi-conductive tendencies were also detected.

Having now read all of your following posts, I am guessing that the semi-conductive joint was up on the moor and the low resistance, A-wire to B-wire, was an artefact of the dying face-plate or of the dying NTE5. (I don't understand the comment about the face-plate "containing a capacitor" . . . because it doesn't! The back part of the NTE5 contains a series connected 470 k Ohm resistor and 1.8 u Farad capacitor that shunt the pair.)

Hmm . . . Also found a battery contact fault. I'm beginning to think that an induced surge, from earlier atmospheric electrical discharge, had caused the damage.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »

About the capacitor, no I was surprised about that, the engineer was talking rubbish? Is the capacitor in the back? And of course an SSFP has a whole load of passive components, could be he was too used to looking at SSFPs.

What a great guy, BT Alex for Breacais, had to do a lot of work and got me sorted and it was a real pleasure to talk to him A++

Was here at around 08:10 after giving Janet a phone call, and took him four hours of slog.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 10:27:11 PM »

What a great guy, BT Alex for Breacais, had to do a lot of work and got me sorted and it was a real pleasure to talk to him A++

Was here at around 08:10 after giving Janet a phone call, and took him four hours of slog.

Please go to this page, scroll down to the "Let us know how we did" heading and then take the link "send them a thank you message". The message will also be seen by the relevant manager and noted.  :)

Very few people realise that facility is available.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:04 PM »

Thank you so much Burakkucat, could we publicise that url somewhere? It is so useful.

I ended up at a 'report damage' page following one url, that is good to know about. I had forgotten. I do hope the engineer Alex's manager gets a copy of my praise. I wish they were all like him. It turns out we know quite a few people in common too.

He was off to Loch Carrann after me, got a phone call and had to hurry, but the high road above the sea-lock would have been a nightmare with 'bongalies/bonglies' (tourists) on the spectacular hilly loch-side road, so not possible to get there quickly without a chopper.

Perhaps BT should hire a boat or a chopper? Could get to Loch Carrann from Broadford really quickly by sea.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything