Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Copper line test message - cwcc@a.3 gone bad

(1/4) > >>

Weaver:
I did a 'copper line test' on my line cwcc@a.3 which appeared to be acting the goat, but when I swapped two modems over between two lines the problem went away. There had been packet loss ever since yesterday evening, getting really bad today.

--- Quote ---BT Test xDSL Copper Test:Pass Standalone sub test passed successfully.Pass Copper Line Test Successful T136:LOOP CONDITION DETECTED (UNPLUG ALL END USER EQUIP and RE-TEST)
--- End quote ---

AA users especially: do the BT test systems usually complain and want the modem removed while you do tests? I can't remember seeing that error message text. Perhaps BT has just updated their test software?

jelv:
I may be wrong but the way I'd read that is that the test detected an error and a further test is required to determine if it is before or after the master socket (demarcation point).

Weaver:
Thanks to jelv - confirmed that it is all bad news. I unplugged modem and then got a clear fail so I am going to ask AA to book an engineer asap, as it says

--- Quote ---BT Test xDSL Copper Test:Fail Line test failed report fault to OR, appointment advised.Fail Line test failed report fault to OR, appointment advised. T024:FAULT - Loop (Rectified)
--- End quote ---

So a rectifier presumably implies a bad joint?

Last wednesday, the day of cwcc@a.2 installation things started to go very wrong with line cwcc@a.3 flapping from around lunchtime onwards. It seemed a bit suspicious because this was just before the engineer was due to turn up for the new line install. The next day, I did a modem swap out, decided that the modem was bad and now it seems as if maybe both line and modem were bad.

I am wondering now if the original suspicion was correct and the 'pair divert' work might have broken something. However, I don't see why that work had to be done on the same day as the house visit, but maybe it is not a matter of 'had to'; maybe the pair divert was booked, to make the job possible, and way back when, the house visit was booked to be immediately afterwards so that is why it just happened that they were on the same day.

Last wednesday was all a cockup anyway, and the job was never finished, barely started in fact. Tuesday is supposed to be the new cwcc@a.2 installation date. A thought comes to me: today it was once again shortly before the new line install date and things go wrong once again. A pattern?

burakkucat:
Two quick comments --

* The ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A may not be faulty.
* A rectified fault usually indicates a bad joint.

Weaver:
Indeed, my thoughts too about the modem. I labelled that B10 as 'retest needed' and it did not go into the bin, just on a shelf, for when I had more time. But the fault last week did move from line @a.3 to line @a.4 when modems were swapped at the NTE5s.

This was last week's adventure:
    https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22126.msg380018.html#msg380018

It seems that we now have a continuation of the problems.

Luckily a voice inside my tormented brain warned me of trouble ahead. I contacted AA and ordered  BT Enhanced Care maintenance for each of the existing three lines. And a couple of days later it turns out that I should hopefully enjoy the benefits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version