Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anti Static Bags supplier  (Read 5647 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Anti Static Bags supplier
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:02:06 PM »

Following a major crash on the Manager's old computer it is going to the tip but I want to salvage the graphics card and the RAM, as well as using the HD as a slave in my computer.
Couple of questions.
I tried the Sniffy shop and Maplins for a few antistatic bags to keep the cards in but no joy. Would they be OK in the poly bags with the plastic zipper across the top to keep the dust off, or has anyone any other suggestions.
The HD as Windows XP home on it and I do not really want it as my Computer has XP pro, what do I do with it, leave it or remove it? I am going to the recyle centre later and will see if they have any old pcs for about a fiver. I might try using the HD in one of those.
dave

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Anti Static Bags supplier
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »

I wouldn't keep them in plastic bags, because they will certainly attract static. In the absence of antistatic bags I think the best option would be paper bags.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »

All I can think of Dave is to ask around in any local PC builder/upgrade shops - they might be only too glad to get rid of some.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »

The HD as Windows XP home on it and I do not really want it as my Computer has XP pro, what do I do with it, leave it or remove it?

Just format the drive after you have installed it.

Don't forget you may need to  change the jumper settings as at the moment it will be set as a "Master" drive.
If installing it on the same IDE ribbon cable as a existing "Master" then the jumpers would need to be set as "Slave"
(Just for the benefit of anyone else reading this)

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:42:14 AM »

Following a major crash on the Manager's old computer it is going to the tip but I want to salvage the graphics card and the RAM, as well as using the HD as a slave in my computer.
Couple of questions.
I tried the Sniffy shop and Maplins for a few antistatic bags to keep the cards in but no joy. Would they be OK in the poly bags with the plastic zipper across the top to keep the dust off, or has anyone any other suggestions.
The HD as Windows XP home on it and I do not really want it as my Computer has XP pro, what do I do with it, leave it or remove it? I am going to the recyle centre later and will see if they have any old pcs for about a fiver. I might try using the HD in one of those.
dave

hi dave,what size is the hd as i may have a 80 gig one going for free.
Always looking for freebie HQ

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:17:24 AM »

Robin,
Thanks for the offer. The HD that I slavaged is 80G I think but plenty big enough for my wife, for what she uses it for.
The main reason I want to shove it in as a slave is because it has one or two things on it that the manager might want to retrieve. I have no idea what she does with it when I am out and I used to do an occasional backup to my Ext HD for her. That may have everything on that she wants so if I put the HD in as a slave I can then let her have her own  storage on my PC.
Think I may get her a laptop to keep her out of my 'office'.
dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 02:24:19 AM »

The HD as Windows XP home on it and I do not really want it as my Computer has XP pro, what do I do with it, leave it or remove it?

Ok, as you now say there is or might be some info on the drive.
Just install it as the slave, then delete normally "as you would" any files you don't want, such as Windows, Programmes etc.

Just leaving the files that you do want.

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:59:43 AM »

Robin,
Thanks for the offer. The HD that I slavaged is 80G I think but plenty big enough for my wife, for what she uses it for.
The main reason I want to shove it in as a slave is because it has one or two things on it that the manager might want to retrieve. I have no idea what she does with it when I am out and I used to do an occasional backup to my Ext HD for her. That may have everything on that she wants so if I put the HD in as a slave I can then let her have her own  storage on my PC.
dave

hi dave,im presuming the manager is your wife,i thought it was your boss you were meaning. i wouldnt leave a hd in a computer you are scrapping,unless software nowadays guarantees no sensitive information can be retrieved off the drive.there is no harm in keeping it
Always looking for freebie HQ

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »

dave

Excellent idea.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."