Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Home CCTV and displaying signs.  (Read 3693 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Home CCTV and displaying signs.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »

wouldn't any saving gained to insurance discount be lost due to the cost of the service contract?

Well it's not just the discount but you must consider what else you get, an annual service with replacement standby batteries and any other failing parts covered, and in our case a complete new updated system when the old one failed. So in my case money well spent at around £60 per year, a new system fully installed is several £100s of pounds.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »

I've installed and maintained my own alarm system,  I've also fitted the biggest battery I could. We were burgled about ten years ago whilst on holiday (old alarm system with contract) , luckily we were only away a week. The alarm went off and we think they had a quick look around, a few days later it went off again, neighbours could not see anything either time, but the intruders turned the power off the second time obviously intending on coming back when the battery was flat. I've also fitted the loudest internal sirens I could, that will spook them if nothing else.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »

i actually have the opposite view on that.
if you answer it remotely via your phone then it's suggests that you aren't actually home.
if you were in the house you're not going to pick up your phone and talk to them via the phone, you're just going to go to the door.

I disagree. I'm not spending £100+ on a video doorbell to have to get up off my lazy ass to answer the door!

With regards to the OP no I wouldn't put signage up. I'd be happy to put security cameras up but wouldn't want signage to advertise the fact.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 03:04:32 PM »

I disagree. I'm not spending £100+ on a video doorbell to have to get up off my lazy ass to answer the door!

so you would never answer the door if you'd spent £100?
what if the person at the door is someone you want to let in or receive something from?

you're still going to have to get up off your lazy ass to do that.

who exactly are you trying to "put of the scent" by using one of these devices? how any burglars ring your doorbell or knock your door before attempting a break in?
at best all you'll be avoiding jehovahs witnesses.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »

If the camera records beyond the boundary of your property, then I believe you need signage.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »

I have Foscam's setup around parts of the inside of the house, and one monitoring the back garden. They are connected to my Synology NAS RS815+ which also keeps past recordings for up to around 1 to 2 weeks, so if necessary I can go back in time and check something if there's something unusual. I don't use a warning sign.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »

^^^^
Ditto that, but to a QNAP NAS, but same functionality which I can view while away from home. I don't advertise it either.

Although the only action I have captured has been the window cleaner!  ::)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything