Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Generator safety  (Read 3505 times)

Starman

• Reg Member
Re: Generator safety
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »

turn it on she could electrocute any electricity board staff working on the line who think the power is off, or power all the houses in the village.

Weaver I work for a DNO [The old Eastern board] and I appreciate the concern :)

However I cannot recommend a customer pulling their own cutout fuse to isolate their supply but I understand your reasons.

I think its safe to say unless you have a very large generator the initial load current from picking up the local LV feeder way(s) and possibly inverting into the HV network is likely to cause the generator to at least trip or more likely fail to start at all.

Can anyone with a brain think of anything really foolproof ?

I would suggest you contact your electricity supplier to install a 100A double pole isolation switch located after DNO owned cutout but before your suppliers meter - this will allow you to isolate your installation from the public network.

Some styles do allow you to install a single key safety lock which means without the key you cannot operate the switch or remove it easily (its what we use on the network to secure isolated LV feeder ways or HV switches).

Finally I know some people who have their own generator installation a on-load or offload bypass switch can be installed which would also achieve the same as above.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:52:42 PM by Starman »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »

How about a really simple solution? Attach the key to the generator shed to the 100A fuse!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »

How about a really simple solution? Attach the key to the generator shed to the 100A fuse!

I wouldn't suggest a screw ;)

However this stuff would work great!

Pages: 1 [2]

anything