Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows forgets Network addresses  (Read 15568 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Windows forgets Network addresses
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 02:09:35 AM »

Hello .

What I would do at this stage, First make a note of all your settings.
1..On each computer delete all network settings reboot each in turn .( delete wireless settings on laptop and  the voyager.)
2..Make sure your network hub/switch is ok and working .
3.. unplug or turn off wireless Voyager 2100.
4..hard wire laptop .
5.. switch on and configure ( I would use my network place ) each computer and reboot.
6.. configure laptop last.
7.. when you have them all talking to one another then disconnect RJ45 from laptop and set up the wifi side .
8.. test via pings etc.
9. good luck.

Regards Michael.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 10:55:26 PM »

Update on this -

I tried all that and still no joy.
I spent hours following all the master browser combinations as I felt sure it must be something to do with that - all the symptoms where there.

Because everything worked fine if you plugged in via the LAN then it was obvious it was something to do with the wireless..

The fact that the lappy was multi-homed seemed a possibility but Id disabled the lan - and even the wireless - even stripped out the mac addresses from my router and started afresh.  Id also totally removed the wireless adapters and started afresh twice.

Anyhow chris brought his lappy round - fired it up and came across exactly the same thing....  only this time now we had three separate domains - none of them seeing each other - all named MSHome and all correctly set up. - except no talk with each other.

Even chris was scratching his head at one point - the 12 mins was pointing towards windows browser and ARP.

So chris fired up Ethereal to see if we could see what was going on - at first nothing it all looked ok...  then there was a lil blip from my router.
Yet the ARP tables looked ok from what chris could see.. messed around with the router settings for about 1/2 an hour, couldnt see anything specific... but something weird was going on for the router to suddenly announce itself.

So...  last attempt set the router back to the manufacturers settings** and about 1/2 an hour later everything was up and running ok.

What had happened with the ARP table Ive no idea - maybe chris has had chance to understand more I dunno.  But whatever it was, was continuing through a router reboots and a factory reset was the only thing that sorted it.

------------
** Factory reset wasnt un-eventful and I had about 15-20 mins of worry when I couldnt get any sync what so ever.
The router was rebooted that many times and failed so often to resync that I half expected to find my normally rock steady 8Mb with 7dB of attenuation this morning being on a stupidly low profile with interleaving applied.

------
Thanks chris for the help - appreciated.

Bet you didnt think youd be sorting my network, when a couple of hours earlier we thought we were going to see Evanescence.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:59:44 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 01:30:16 PM »

> Bet you didnt think youd be sorting my network, when a couple of hours earlier we thought we were going to see Evanescence

Damn right....

To be honest, I think it was something in the router that was blocking domain broadcast traffic going over the wireless properly, for whatever reason... causing names not to resolve, thus effectively breaking NetBIOS!

Whatever it was, survived warm reboots, so must have been something a bit weird saved in the router's config.

In retrospect I wish I'd done a bit more digging to have a look at all the config files first.

Anyway, got there :) Still wish I'd been at Evanescence though :(
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 02:39:49 PM »

Still wish I'd been at Evanescence though :(

Oh, Chris how can you say a thing like that, it's not everyday that you get to help a damsel in distress "or is it"  :love:

But seriously, I'm really glad that Kitz's problem has now been cured, which will now take a lot of mental strain and fatigue from her, (and yourself) no-doubt.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 07:01:16 PM »

What's Evanescence? ;)

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 12:29:32 AM »

Glad you got sorted.
These box's that we all play about with are sent to try our patients,  when the 1's and 0's get in the wrong place !.

From Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 02:44:36 PM »

Its back again... 

Dont fancy doing another factory reset just yet  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

browolf

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »

my idea
there's a setting in windows which determines which network connection has precedence in the event both are plugged in. 

network connections > advanced > advanced settings (connections are listed in the order which they are accessed by network services)

if the primary connection isnt working properly then lots of wierdness can ensue.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 06:22:37 PM »

I realise that the problem has been sorted no-doubt with much jubilation.

On XP from time-to-time I also have a "similar" problem, to get around this I find that by "Un-Sharing" the Drive or Folder/s on the PC that cannot be accessed, then re-sharing the folders again, this usually solves my problem.
(Although then I usually end-up with two folders for the same drive/Folder in the network, you then need to find and remove the one that is still there that does not work). (Try hovering the mouse over them and read the path)

Like I said, I don't know if this is the same sort of problem, but with sharing Folder or Drives over a network it works for me.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything