Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My VDSL2 in Wales  (Read 3988 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: My VDSL2 in Wales
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »

On the subject of G.inp, a few days ago the HG612 resynched, it now gives me 40,000 down and 9999 up.  Max attainable is ~45K down and ~10K up.  The main point is that G.inp has been switched on (routerstats had previously shown me it wasn't on), and since then I've noticed that the SNR and MAX attainable speeds are a lot steadier, previously the SNR was jumping about a fair bit in the routerstats graph.

Overall, pleased so far - it's lots better than 1.5mb ADSL  ;D

Will set up the Plusnet Hub One as a router soon and see if that's helpful.  Haven't been using it enough as yet to notice if the HG612 in router mode on it's own is struggling in any way.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »

I reset the HG612 back to factory, and connected it to the Plusnet Hub One as Roseway suggested, and it does indeed make things feel snappier.  The Google speed test graph tachometer immedietly springs up to ~38Mb with this setup, before it jerked upwards in a stop-start fashion (though still ultimately showed the same throughput).

A downside of this configuration is that the Plusnet Hub One is very locked down, so much so that you can't even change the DNS server  >:(  So I ended up configuring pi-hole ad-blocker to also be a DHCP server, which can offer my own choice of DNS server.  This took a bit of fiddling, but worked well - and the Pi it's running on is being powered by the PlusNet Hub One USB port  :D

Thanks to everyone for their help in getting this all working  :thumbs:

Ian

ps This https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm is an excellent Windows program for benchmarking DNS server speeds, to find the best one for you.  Let it build a custom list (can take about 40 minutes) then run the benchmark on this list, and it'll show you which ones work reliably and fastest.  I'm now using 1.1.1.1 from Cloudflare.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »

I wonder if any of the team might cast their eyes over my bitloading please?  It's all working fine, but I was curious about the big notch around tone 150.  This corresponds approximately with Radio 5 live MW, but reception of that station at my house isn't great.  I have to position the radio carefully to get it, so it doesn't seem as if that signal is swamping me here.

Thanks

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »

That notch is quite normal. It's a standard part of the VDSL2 provision in the UK, to reduce interference with ADSL services. It's the result of a PSD mask.
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »

That notch is quite normal. It's a standard part of the VDSL2 provision in the UK, to reduce interference with ADSL services. It's the result of a PSD mask.

Ah excellent, thanks.  It had been mildly bugging me, but as everything was otherwise working, I wasn't too troubled by it, just curious.

Ian
Pages: 1 [2]