Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Who is your go to manufacturer for Routers etc  (Read 9553 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Who is your go to manufacturer for Routers etc
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:18 AM »

I seem to have forgotten about the existence of DrayTek! I did once fancy one... until I saw the price tags, even for older models! Though I am pretty sure DrayTek has a lot more comprehensive features compared to Billion, and their hardware is just as solid (I am not sure if I approve of their use of Lantiq, but I probably wouldn't use it as a modem anyway). Billion is typically positioned for domestic and SOHO, though I think DrayTek is more SME.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 10:07:22 AM »

I always rated Billion a very good router as I got Billion 8800NL and always very good on my FTTC since 2014. But the wireless are a pant thought. I am now switched over to a better wireless router Zyxel XMG3927-B50A (also VDSL2/G.fast support on it is a bonus for future G.fast).

I do believe that both routers got a broadcom chipset on it.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »

I used Billion for quite a while, but would now prefer Zyxel because it's ADSL performance is better.  I can't really say I've seen a difference in wireless coverage.  However both are pretty crude in terms of actual routing function.  Being used to Cisco at work I was getting a bit fed up with the limits of both, and as a novelty I'm going to give Mikrotik a try.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »

Have used a variety in the past, but for the last two or three years have stuck with a s/h Billion 7800N and 8800NL (v1), rotated every few months.Love them both!  :)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »

I did try one of the MikroTik routers but I found it a bit excessive for how I intended to use my connection. Furthermore, the amount of effort required to configure it and keep it maintained was not looking worthwhile.

I've switched to Zyxel, but only because of G.fast CPE availability. Otherwise, I was still relatively happy with my Billion 8800AXL R2 despite the rough start I had with it due to a firmware issue, and the lack of 1500 byte MTU (PPPoE?, though not massively important).
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 09:27:48 PM »

For quite some time I was using various Huawei devices (thanks to asbokid) but as of early 2017 I have exclusively used a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »

I too am still using the Zyxel 1312-B10A for my modem. It's a great device!!
I've since moved onto the edgerouter X with one Unifi AC lite access point. The setup seems pretty solid actually.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »

I for some reason try to avoid netgear, dont know why, the hashed up superhub for VM might be a factor.

For DSL I primarily pick a device to use as a modem based on cost and chipset.  There needs to be a requirement for bridge mode which pretty much every DSL router is capable off.  If I was getting one for use as a router/modem combi it probably would not be zyxel as the UI I dont like, billion has a nice UI so would possibly be picked but for value for money in terms of hardware spec not as good as zyxel.  However I do like to split into a multi box configuration so each device does the task its most suited for.  So DSL router in bridge mode.

For an actual router, I have got into the habit of using open source, has professional features, has an active user base and is well supported.  So candidate projects would be asuswrt-merlin, openwrt, pfsense and opnsense primarily, but there is other options as well.  Chinese suppliers seem to be the best one's for things like pfsense e.g. qotom devices which are NUC type units.

Right now I am using a zyxel for my DSL modem (billion 8800nl I may switch back to), qotom for my pfsense firewall, and an old asus rt-n16 for one of my openwrt managed switch's, and an TPLINK archer C7 for the other openwrt managed switch (this is also my wifi access point).  I started using managed switches so I can use vlan's and have a proper guest wifi network.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:47:00 AM by Chrysalis »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »

I would quite like to try a Synology router. I think the UI looks quite intriguing.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 09:09:05 AM »

If I had to choose a manufacturer, I quite liked my Asus Dark Knight router that I used a while ago.

Nowadays though, I do not have an off the shelf router...

- Unifi Ubiquiti Access Point covering wireless access
- HG612's on each FTTC circuit coming into the house... I tried ZyXEL modems, but was really disappointed with the performance.
- Routing is performed by a pfSense virtual machine that is connected to both WAN's and load balances. Multithreaded downloads use both circuits. Certain devices only use one circuit at a time, for example, Sky box is always directed to Sky FTTC. There's no benefit for dual WAN for this, so why use my AAISP quota for that?

However, going forward I am looking at building my own router with Gentoo. This is more for my own learning than anything else, plus it'd be cool to say I've truly built my own router from the ground up.

NB: These devices that everyone calls "Routers" - it is really a misnomer. Often these devices actually are Modems, Routers, Switches, and Wireless AP's all in one, yet they are all called Routers. It grinds my gears as a Network Engineer because I am used to dealing with a single box that just does "Routing"... :)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:21:18 AM by dee.jay »
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »

I think it is just easier for the majority to bundle everything under the one name of a router but I can see the frustration.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »

Well, how else would you call it. I do agree that router is the best name for one of those though.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 11:56:51 AM »

I did try one of the MikroTik routers but I found it a bit excessive for how I intended to use my connection. Furthermore, the amount of effort required to configure it and keep it maintained was not looking worthwhile.
I've only just got my Mikrotik router so not yet had a play with it.  I'm already using a Mikrotik router for 4G, but it's only got a very basic configuration so far.  The CLI isn't what I'm used to, so will see how I get on.  What I need is some basic routing functions for the router, like connecting different subnets and failover between the DSL and 4G.  On the 4G router I'd like to configure some prioritisation on upload.  I have to say Mikrotik QoS terminology looks very strange. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »

NB: These devices that everyone calls "Routers" - it is really a misnomer. Often these devices actually are Modems, Routers, Switches, and Wireless AP's all in one, yet they are all called Routers. It grinds my gears as a Network Engineer because I am used to dealing with a single box that just does "Routing"... :)

A certain grumpy, old, black cat has to agree with you.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »

I quite like the router I bought about 10-15 years ago, branded ‘Mac Allister”.   

Cheap as chips from B&Q on a spur of the moment impulse.  Pretty basic but it does the job, has enabled me to dabble in carpentry, and to make some house-name signs for the end of the drive. ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4