Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Who is your go to manufacturer for Routers etc  (Read 9552 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Who is your go to manufacturer for Routers etc
« on: August 10, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »

I'm interested in finding out who every tends to stick with for routers for the home. This can be in terms of quality, Customer support, Ease of use, Features built in etc.

This is my thoughts so far on past equipment:
Billion - Seem reliable, WiFi can be hit or miss on them, Design could be improved and updated, Plenty of features, Support seems excellent and listen to customers when issues are found in Firmware.

Netgear: Nice designs, WiFi is great, Too basic with features, Equipment only lasts a few years, Customer support is non-existent and don't seem to give a hoot about issues. Don't think I want to venture back to them.

Asus: Love the designs (Very futuristic), DSL items are better used as a door wedge, Customer support are useless and can't answer basic questions correctly from my experience. I was willing to give them another go after the whole DSL-AC68U debacle but with being given false information from them the other day, I don't see them being any better.

Basically, I'm on the look out for new equipment, Looking to keep it fairly simple but would like to hear everyones thoughts on other manufacturers.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Who is your go to manufacturer for Routers etc
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »

I sense that you are really asking about CPE rather than "true" routers. Would that be correct?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »

I sense that you are really asking about CPE rather than "true" routers. Would that be correct?

Yes that's right. Not too hot on my terminology to be honest  :-[

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »

Billion is usually the manufacturer I go for. Usually cheaper than Asus and Netgear for what could be a comparable product, but from what I have witnessed Billion seem to be better in terms of:
  • Support (not that I've had to deal with Asus of Netgear directly, but I've seen about it). There is a good degree of interaction on the forum and the ticket system seems to get a decent response from Billion.
  • Stability. I've read horror stories about the use of MediaTek in Asus modems. And while there are good modem chipsets that exist in Asus devices, it seems to be unclear to those just desperate to buy a super duper WiFi modem-router combo that sometimes use inferior chipsets. Billion has a decent reputation as they use Broadcom chipsets.
  • Security. I've not really had to worry about security issues on my devices. Unlike on a lot of Asus and some Netgear devices which have been subject to a few security flaws on their devices.
  • Performance. Billion devices, because of the use of Broadcom chipsets, tend to be some of the top performers in reference to DSL. Back in the day when I had a long ADSL line and even now when I have VDSL2.
  • Interface. This is something very subjective as some people think the Billion interface is boring and acient-looking. I, on the other hand, like the fact it is a no-bullsh*t interface. Everything is where you expect it to be. Nothing is hidden behind stupid flashy menus. Deduct a little because of the fact it's not a responsive design for use on mobile devices.
Of course, the Billion designs tend to be a bit bland. But I buy for functionality, not whether it looks nice. I am not going to be staring at it all day!

I heard Zyxel have some nice devices, with some of the better ones having an internal noise filter. Might try them one day.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:10:19 PM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:12 PM »

Thanks for a detailed response.
Most of which I agree with too. The WiFi I found to be a bit weak compared to other devices. Not sure if it's due to the design or what.
When I had adsl, my billion was the best purchase I had in years.
They seem to take a bit longer to take out new equipment compared to other manufacturers. That's probably a good thing really as they seem to thoroughly test them before hand.

I've got a Zyxel 1312-b10a modem and it seems pretty good.
I just need a good reliable router to compliment it although considering trying a mesh setup now.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »

The Billion devices that have internal antennas are a bit pants when it comes to WiFi. Though while the speed and range not be so fantastic, I've never really had any stability issues with the 8800NL (the first version) and it's usually good enough for a few wireless devices. I know the 8800AXL R2 has pleasant WiFi from experience (external antennas), and I imagine the same could be said about their much more expensive 8900AX-1600 R2 and 8900AX-2400 models.

I have opted for a two-device setup using the 8800NL as a modem and 8800AXL R2 as a router (just so I can make changes to firmware and configs without disrupting the DSL). Though I am currently having a few issues with my 8800AXL R2 at the moment with "random" reboots and am waiting for a response from their engineers (it's not an easy to diagnose problem as nothing gets logged on the remote syslog server when it does it). Although in a previous situation I have been sent firmware to fix an issue, which is nice.

As for Zyxel, I've never used one. But it's the B10A versions that has the filter built in if I am correct. Someone here with one would know for sure anyway.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:41:53 PM by re0 »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:33:11 PM »

That was also my experience with billion in the past. The engineering team actually took an interest in issues that people reported.
The GUI on the billion was way too over complex for me but I only look for a fairly simple setup and lack the knowledge of what everything does. It is good to know that everything is there if you want it though.

You are correct, the b10a does indeed have a filter on it. I seem to gain a bout of DS speed but maybe lose a bit of US.
My netgear D7000 gave me a good sync speed too but after 3 years it's started locking up after a few weeks which caused errors on my line and banding, hence why I moved the modem duties to the Zyxel.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 03:06:02 AM »

I chose Firebrick, ridiculously expensive but would find it difficult now to live with anything else. I am addicted. [Do not flame me. :-) Answers to all responses are: I know, I know.]

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »

I also forgot to mention the fact that with Billion I've always had full telnet/ssh access (which is a huge bonus) without having to locate "modded" firmware. And SNR tweaking is available for those who want to live on the edge, even in the web interface. I know some manufacturers have devices which also have telnet/ssh easily accessible, but others require custom firmware or debug modes to enable.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

And Billion have had very well respected modems too.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »

My go to was Asus for a router but I've since moved to PfSense. Although I guess that's just router software (unless you buy one of the Netgate products). Currently have it running on one of the Qotom mini PC's. Admittedly, I've no idea what half the options available in PfSense do. Seems to work just fine though with my fairly basic config.

I use a 4 box setup:

Draytek Vigor 130
PfSense on the Qotom mini Pc
A TP-Link POE 8 Port switch
A TP-Link EAP 225v3 AP, although I have a Ubiquiti AP coming tomorrow to try
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:26:36 PM by Jon21 »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »

How often do you need to buy these things to even have a go to manufacturer?

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »

I chose to replace my two APU based pfSense firewalls with Netgate ones (a SG-2220 and a SG-4860).
Very expensive in comparison to alternative hardware, but I regarded it as a contribution to pfSense development.

I use separate WiFi access points and VDSL modems.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »

ZyXEL and Billion and Asus for routers.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 11:38:18 PM »

DrayTek, Ubiquiti (EdgeRouter) or finally now the Firebrick.

I'm currently using my two DrayTek Vigor routers (2860Vac and 2862) as bridged modems primarily, though the 2860Vac is also using VoIP as it's connected to my house phones via an RJ11 cable, which then connects to the Firebrick's SIP server which then finally connects to AAISP's SIP server.

Another interesting fact, my UPS will maintain the following hardware for up to around 6 hours on battery:
- LED Light Strip (plugged in via USB to the FireBrick FB2900 if there's a power cut)
- Firebrick FB2900 (acting as a router and SIP server for VoIP)
- DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac (acting as a bridged modem and for VoIP, BT Advanced Z is connected to it via RJ11)
- DrayTek Vigor 2862 (acting as a bridged modem)
- Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 16 150W
- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD (for wifi)
- Synology NAS RS815+ (for monitoring my VDSL2 stats on both lines and taking automated action if errors become excessive or minimal, recording the back garden and some internal cameras downstairs, and for being a network drive I guess)
- BT Advanced Z Base Station (DECT phones)

I know this because yesterday night I had a power cut and the battery estimated time on the front panel said between 5 to 6 hours :).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:46:26 PM by Ixel »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4