Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Roundcube webmail nightmare for Safari iPad  (Read 5545 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Roundcube webmail nightmare for Safari iPad
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:52:04 AM »

In the Roundcube webmail web app, if you are using Safari on an iPad, the screen width is whatever it is, some random number in some parts of the system, and at times this random number determines whether or not you will be able to see some user interface elements or be able to click on certain objects.

I went into the server-side filters section where you can delete incoming junk for example, or cc certain classes of email to someone else for another example. I have done both. On one occasion I was trying to make changes to the latter. I was using an iPad 5 and guess what, the screen simply was not wide enough for me to see certain parts of the display on the right hand side, so in my particular case, adding more rules to cc certain kinds of email to other people is impossible.

How did I ever get it set up in the first case, I hear you ask? I can only think that I did it on my iPad Pro 12" which has a massive screen, but sometimes certain sites in Safari display stuff rescaled using giant pixels to make the number of x pixels the same as on a standard iPad such as an iPad6. That is evil. But it has to be that that did not happen in this case and for this idea to work the page would have to have been much larger in the sense of having the correct, much greater number of pixels available. So then the genius page authors have succeeded in making something that will become unusable in a different machine, and only by sheer fluke happens to work on one rare variant.

The whole thing needs to be redesigned from scratch in terms of layout: what is the point of drawing stuff so enormous so that it does not fit on the screen anyway. And if no other solution can be found, then the designers if the page and the Safari team need to make sure the user can scroll the page anyway! Why on earth is Safari preventing the user from simply scrolling the page so that the user can get to all of the content ?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Roundcube webmail nightmare for Safari iPad
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »

Hi weaver

I do not think this is a roundcube issue but an issue with modifications made by AA.

I have tested a default roundcube using an iPad and everything works lovely, including scrolling from within boxes

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:46:54 AM »

Ah thanks John. That is really good to know: Roundcube people, I have libelled you. As if you would do something free from clue? I apologise. Mea culpa maxima.

AA really need to get some ipads for staff and sentence some people to ios Safari for a week or so.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:01:36 AM »

AA really need to get some ipads for staff and sentence some people to ios Safari for a week or so.

no they don't
websites don't get designed to work on specific platforms or browsers.
properly designed and coded sites work on all platforms.

what they need is people who know how to code properly.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »

what they need is people who know how to code properly.

And, if I may, I'll add to that list by stating that they also need people who can write proper documentation . . . and not deliver a lecture to a reader who is struggling to configure one of their proprietary devices.  :-X

[b*cat is in grumpy mode when A&A is the topic for discussion.]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »

didn't i read somewhere that the boss/owner of A&A is a bit of a "my way or the high way" type of ego maniac?
if it's true then it kind of makes sense that documentation would be a lecture.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »

@chenks    :)  A platform is not the same thing as a use case nor a situation. Testing doesn't magically go away in a situation like this because only testing reveals what the issues are. Yes some people who can write good code will get my vote over testers every time, but here they already have what they have and now need to sentence someone to use an ipad in order to find out how many other problems there are. I am definitely with you given a free choice, have argued in the past that testing is a waste of time and you should just not have any bugs, but in some other situations one is presented with a certain situation and it is what it is and then testing is needed. Are we mostly agreed?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »

Hi

@weaver sorry, I hope I have read and understood your post.

Testing is always needed, even if the coder is 100% the code works as expected. It still needs testing

Also, a small but important point I believe, and that is when the code was written, it may well have worked as expected at that time, but as things move on and develop, the code becomes outdated and may no longer work as expected or intended.

I think this thread should have been ended on your second post where you acknowledge that it is not roundcube but AA, and a small ticket opened with AA pointing out the issue.

The above though I am not having a go you sorry. Just trying to bring a little realism to the thread.

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 04:26:17 AM »

John, you and I are in agreement.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »

@chenks    :)  A platform is not the same thing as a use case nor a situation. Testing doesn't magically go away in a situation like this because only testing reveals what the issues are. Yes some people who can write good code will get my vote over testers every time, but here they already have what they have and now need to sentence someone to use an ipad in order to find out how many other problems there are. I am definitely with you given a free choice, have argued in the past that testing is a waste of time and you should just not have any bugs, but in some other situations one is presented with a certain situation and it is what it is and then testing is needed. Are we mostly agreed?

where did i say anything about not testing?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »

AA refused to fix the bug. Fobbed me off with a we can do nothing type response. (Err fix the bug, is it open source?)

Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do about that as it is not something that we have power over. I would suggest trying to use a email client such as Thunderbird. You may find this easier.
How do I run Thunderbird on an iPad. I can't change these server side filters/rules settings in the standard Apple Mail app anyway. One of the points of webmail is that you can use it without setup needed, if you can't remember all the magic runes, or want to do something temporarily.

Answer buy different hardware, in my case get my big iPad Pro back. What about all the iPad users who want to use this software and buying an iPad Pro 12" is not an option? Standard recipe: effectively blame the customer for having bought the wrong hardware or o/s or browser.

We have a policy of no bullsh*t and will not fob you off with a convenient but unhelpful answer.
from https://aa.net.uk/broadband-support.html

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 09:05:34 PM »

I don't know anything about email servers. Is there a standard or otherwise interface that client applications can use to set or alter server-side rules? How does Roundcube for example talk to the mail server regarding these rules?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »

AA's version is 1.2.3.
Have a look at https://roundcube.net/news/
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

anything