Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Curry's PC World database hacked  (Read 1224 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Curry's PC World database hacked
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »

Got the email below this morning.    Now I may have missed it, but I couldn't recall hearing anything in the press about the PCWorld database being hacked.

Because of the email address that it was sent to I know that it specifically relates to a PCWorld instore purchase of a laptop in my dads name about 3-4 years ago as they wanted an email for some warranty or other.  I can't recall what other info dad gave but I think he gave full name & address.

I also have an online account with Curry's/PCW for online purchases but haven't had any corresp (yet) about my own account.

On June 13, we began to contact a number of our customers as a precaution after we found that some of our security systems had been accessed in the past using sophisticated malware.

We promptly launched an investigation. Since then we have been putting further security measures in place to safeguard customer information, increased our investment in cyber security and added additional controls. In all of this we have been working intensively with leading cyber security experts.

Our investigation, which is now nearing completion, has identified that approximately 10 million records containing personal data may have been accessed in 2017. This unauthorised access to data may include personal information such as name, address, phone number, date of birth and email address.

While there is now evidence that some of this data may have left our systems, these records do not contain payment card or bank account details and we have no confirmed instances of customers falling victim to fraud as a result. We are continuing to keep the relevant authorities updated.

I've done a quick google and the only recent media info that could relate to the June 13 breach is this news article from Skynews -
Hackers access 5.9m bank cards at Dixons Carphone which is why it could have escaped my attention.   
I note that PCW also had another data breach within the past 3 years.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Curry's PC World database hacked
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »

Whilst googling I found this article on techworld.   It's really scary how many large organisations have been hacked :(

The most infamous data breaches.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:16:15 PM »

I remember making a passing reference to a Dixons breach in a (unrelated) recent post.   Dug it out and sure enough, it was 13th June, so I must have seen it somewhere, almost certainly BBC as that’s the only news I ever take any notice of...

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21732.0.html

I’ve had no contact from Dixons or PC World, but also pretty sure I have avoided using them for best part of a decade now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »

Ah thanks I must have missed your post sorry.    :'(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:21:05 AM by kitz »
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:16:53 AM »

Huge fines for incompetence might just cause the concealment of breaches. It needs to become a duty to report breaches with serious penalties for non-compliance.

Maybe government needs to set up a 'clue supplier' rather than us all just pouring scorn on the fools responsible when it is too late. Some outfit that will hold corporate numpties' hands and tell them exactly what to do.

anything