Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Openreach to Scale Back G.fast Broadband Rollout – Focus on FTTP  (Read 6655 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach to Scale Back G.fast Broadband Rollout – Focus on FTTP
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 10:39:26 PM »

I'm sure everyone at 700m would be happier with 35b than G.Fast though. I don't think you would hear any of them complaining at 100Mb.

I bet thousand of customers within 700m are happy to take 100Mbps from Profile 35b if all cabinets are Huawei 100% with supervectoring rather than G.Fast

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2018, 03:24:25 AM »

That is the key line.

If it had been rolled out as originally planned then I think the buy rate would be higher, and the cable maintance would have been lower. At the moment OR have the worst of both worlds.

G.Fast is being rolled out as was originally intended - it was always going to be most economic and easiest for Openreach to start the rollout at the PCP's and then deploy it deeper in the network. This would have been the case even if they hadn't managed to increase the range of G.Fast - its just that certain people don't have the patience..

Ironically, the increased focus on FTTP and the scaling back of g.fast will mean that fewer people will be covered by 100mb+ speeds in the next few years then was previously planned.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »

G.Fast is being rolled out as was originally intended - it was always going to be most economic and easiest for Openreach to start the rollout at the PCP's and then deploy it deeper in the network. This would have been the case even if they hadn't managed to increase the range of G.Fast - its just that certain people don't have the patience..

Unless I have missed a document at the announcement of G.fast I was under the impression the original idea was to put G.fast pods on nearby poles and underground, which would have pushed deeper in the network as a stepping stone for FTTP. Then the idea was halted because of power issues i.e. who would power them, the cabinet or the customer. So the pole/underground idea was dropped and they moved them back to the PCP.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 2 [3]