Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

UPS recommendations (again)

<< < (6/6)

burakkucat:
The IP2100-12 looks quite interesting for someone who just wishes to maintain a 12V DC supply for a modem/router.

Weaver:
What a good idea! I would need four of them or get someone to make up a forked cable or whatever the word is and guzzle. But then all the other kit would be left out.

Starless:
I don't know if any of this is of any help but...

If I remember correctly the ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A pulls roughly 250 mA (idle) to 350 mA (load) @ 12v. That's in bridge mode, WiFi disabled, on a 80/20 VDSL connection. I measured it a while ago with one of my Fluke meters because I wanted to run my 1312-B10A off a 12v PoE splitter and wanted to make sure it had ample headroom. That is going off memory though, so probably best not to rely on it  :D. I could probably pull out my spare 1312-B10A and test again if you wanted? I probably don't want to test it on my line again though, don't want to risk getting DLM'd.

If it's possible I'd say it's a good idea to have anything "natively" DC powered on a DC UPS, just strikes me as more efficient. Particularly in the case of the "modems" because they are relatively low draw devices you should be able to run them for quite a long time without a massive AC UPS that has lots of overhead. At least that way the modems get a long runtime and avoid any disconnects that might effect the line speed, even if the rest of the network devices don't have as long a run time on a different UPS.

High quality DC UPS's don't seem exactly easy to come by though. Personally I'd be kind of weary of that IP2100-12 because of the Li-ion battery, even if it is properly protected. IMHO lead acid or LiFePO4 are better candidates for UPS use. I'm not sure if powering all the "modems" in parallel from one of those units would be a good idea or not, would they benefit from galvanic isolation? I dunno.

I have one of these: http://www.mini-box.com/OpenUPS that I bought quite a long time ago before the pound tanked against the dollar. Really nice unit, quality components, NUT supports it, lots of options. I always intended to use it to power my modem and a few other bits (a Pi and DECT base station maybe) but haven't got round to it yet. Last time I looked at it I was umming and ahhing about whether to go for VRLA or LIFEPO4 batteries and what enclosure to stick it all in (converting a Mini-ITX PC case was my last idea I seem to recall). Unfortunately that seems a bit pricey now, I think Mini-Box do have other UPS's that might still be an option though?

Right now (as I kind of alluded to previously) I run my 1312-B10A off a 12v PoE splitter which in turn is powered by a PoE injector which is powered by the Eaton 5px UPS in my rack. I opted for this because my master socket is a long way away from my network/server rack and I had an extra Ethernet run handy, so it's just a convenient temporary solution to get the 1312-B10A on some form of UPS. As a better/permanent solution I'll hopefully get that OpenUPS up and running before too long though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version