Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UPS recommendations (again)  (Read 8308 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: UPS recommendations (again)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »

I assume the power factor (cos 𝜃 or whatever, memory fails me after 40 years  :)  ??? ) should be well-behaved, trivial for the type of kit we are using here yes? No inductive loads ? Nothing reflecting power back? So if that is the case then I would not need to worry about the distinction here.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:53:20 PM by Weaver »

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »

Around 2:40 this addresses the FTTC cabinet battery issue.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBMoR1NMwVg[/youtube]

That video partially informed my comment. As I commented on YouTube BT customer services should use that as their holding music.

There was another report of loss of internet every 5 hours or so. Mains to a cabinet had been lost, after about 5 hours it would die but the physical replacement of the batteries by Openreach was on a 6 hour schedule.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 12:32:26 AM »

I assume the power factor (cos 𝜃 or whatever, memory fails me after 40 years  :)  ??? ) should be well-behaved, trivial for the type of kit we are using here yes? No inductive loads ? Nothing reflecting power back? So if that is the case then I would not need to worry about the distinction here.

You might be right, though switch mode PSUs can have unfavourable power factors.  But why chance it, if you can simply measure it, with the right plug in meter?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 12:34:50 AM »

Ah, I forgot about UPS, good point. You are quite right anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »

Taking a look at Amazon and elsewhere, I get the impression the plug in monitors have been dumbed down a bit since I bought mine about a decade ago (maplin iirc). 

Whereas mine has buttons for ‘Watts’, ‘VA’, ‘Volts’ and ‘kWh’, the current ones seem to have buttons for things like ‘Cost’, ‘Up’, ‘Down’ and the likes.  Hopefully they can also display more meaningful parameters, but not obvious.  :-\

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »

Saw this and thought of you, or more precisely Janet

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/pgh6500-portable-petrol-generator-electric-start-6500w

No idea what the quality is like but we did buy an engine crane from them and that was well made.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 04:04:34 AM »

Ronski thank you so much. Disabilities are a pain, literally.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »

Although sadly not within your budget, but my UPS will maintain the following hardware for up to around 6 hours on battery:
- LED Light Strip (plugged in via USB to the FireBrick FB2900 if there's a power cut)
- Firebrick FB2900 (acting as a router and SIP server for VoIP)
- DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac (acting as a bridged modem and for VoIP, BT Advanced Z is connected to it via RJ11)
- DrayTek Vigor 2862 (acting as a bridged modem)
- Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 16 150W
- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD (for wifi)
- Synology NAS RS815+ (for monitoring my VDSL2 stats on both lines and taking automated action if errors become excessive or minimal, recording the back garden and some internal cameras downstairs, and for being a network drive I guess)
- BT Advanced Z Base Station (DECT phones)

I'd recommend checking out Power Inspired stuff though, maybe there's something that is within your budget which does what you need.

https://www.powerinspired.com/store/

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 12:33:53 AM »

@Ixel the 1000B looks like a reasonable choice. It says 'pure sine wave output', which caught my eye. Which UPS model are you using?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:37:26 AM by Weaver »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 12:41:53 AM »

I'm using a VFI2000RT - http://www.powerinspired.com/store/vfi2000rt-2kva1800w-online-ups-system-p-1800.html

It's no longer sold as I bought quite a few years ago, it has served me well :).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 12:45:34 AM »

The IP2100-12 looks quite interesting for someone who just wishes to maintain a 12V DC supply for a modem/router.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53:49 AM »

What a good idea! I would need four of them or get someone to make up a forked cable or whatever the word is and guzzle. But then all the other kit would be left out.

Starless

• Just arrived
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »

I don't know if any of this is of any help but...

If I remember correctly the ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A pulls roughly 250 mA (idle) to 350 mA (load) @ 12v. That's in bridge mode, WiFi disabled, on a 80/20 VDSL connection. I measured it a while ago with one of my Fluke meters because I wanted to run my 1312-B10A off a 12v PoE splitter and wanted to make sure it had ample headroom. That is going off memory though, so probably best not to rely on it  :D. I could probably pull out my spare 1312-B10A and test again if you wanted? I probably don't want to test it on my line again though, don't want to risk getting DLM'd.

If it's possible I'd say it's a good idea to have anything "natively" DC powered on a DC UPS, just strikes me as more efficient. Particularly in the case of the "modems" because they are relatively low draw devices you should be able to run them for quite a long time without a massive AC UPS that has lots of overhead. At least that way the modems get a long runtime and avoid any disconnects that might effect the line speed, even if the rest of the network devices don't have as long a run time on a different UPS.

High quality DC UPS's don't seem exactly easy to come by though. Personally I'd be kind of weary of that IP2100-12 because of the Li-ion battery, even if it is properly protected. IMHO lead acid or LiFePO4 are better candidates for UPS use. I'm not sure if powering all the "modems" in parallel from one of those units would be a good idea or not, would they benefit from galvanic isolation? I dunno.

I have one of these: http://www.mini-box.com/OpenUPS that I bought quite a long time ago before the pound tanked against the dollar. Really nice unit, quality components, NUT supports it, lots of options. I always intended to use it to power my modem and a few other bits (a Pi and DECT base station maybe) but haven't got round to it yet. Last time I looked at it I was umming and ahhing about whether to go for VRLA or LIFEPO4 batteries and what enclosure to stick it all in (converting a Mini-ITX PC case was my last idea I seem to recall). Unfortunately that seems a bit pricey now, I think Mini-Box do have other UPS's that might still be an option though?

Right now (as I kind of alluded to previously) I run my 1312-B10A off a 12v PoE splitter which in turn is powered by a PoE injector which is powered by the Eaton 5px UPS in my rack. I opted for this because my master socket is a long way away from my network/server rack and I had an extra Ethernet run handy, so it's just a convenient temporary solution to get the 1312-B10A on some form of UPS. As a better/permanent solution I'll hopefully get that OpenUPS up and running before too long though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:53:24 PM by Starless »
AAISP FTTC 80/20 [BT back-haul] | Huawei 96 | VMG1312-B10A [bridge mode - 1508 MTU] | pfSense 2.4.4
Pages: 1 [2]

anything