Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Openreach Master Socket in my property  (Read 4540 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: New Openreach Master Socket in my property
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »

Still got old master socket MK2 as ex engineer gave to me. I kept in the wall cupboard. But, the problem is can't put it back in because the wiring feed in the back of MK4 are remain BT property as I am not allow to touch it. A/B wiring on it all the way to the exchange.

Unless I ask ex bt engineer to comeback to put MK2 socket back in. But he might charged me more next time.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 03:46:43 PM »

The NTE5C's are very poorly constructed.
You could not pay me to switch to 1.

It lowered your sync rate

I wish I never bothered to swap MK2 to MK4 because I thought MK4 are lots better and massive improvement. It's isnt the case as my sync rate drop from 79999k to 78083K and line attenuation (dB) has changed from 11.3 to 11.9.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »

Did you get this new socket before or after your sync speed dropped from the full 80Mb?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »

Based on a topic you previously created (https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22130.0.html), the sync rate already dropped below 79999 Kbps prior to the socket change (78515 Kbps in your post), unless I am missing something. So while it is sat at 78083 Kbps now, there is nothing to say that the NTE5A/MK2 would have given anything more than perhaps a subtle couple hundred Kbps (and you're less than 2 Mbps below the maximum anyway). The only thing I would be concerned about is the error rate perhaps being higher since the construction of the NTE5C is questionable (I have one and I think the other line with NTE5A/MK3 might be faring better, though that's not scientific).

I think the order of events went like this:
1. Your modem resync'd and you fell ~1.5 Mbps below the maximum possible sync
2. You got worried about it and changed your socket on a whim
3. You gained nothing and perhaps even lost a tiny bit
4. Regret?

But please understand that I am not trying to patronise you at all. I think you're getting a bit too worried/obsessed about how many bits are coming down your line. Maybe close the router statistics page and take it out of your favourites to stop impulsive viewing? The last post in the other topic made me think that you were no longer worried about it.

Still got old master socket MK2 as ex engineer gave to me. I kept in the wall cupboard. But, the problem is can't put it back in because the wiring feed in the back of MK4 are remain BT property as I am not allow to touch it.
I also imagine the ex-Openreach engineer shouldn't be allowed to touch it either, but it didn't stop him? ;) Though, perhaps it would beneficial just to leave it alone unless you really feel the current setup is adversely impacting sync speeds and stability beyond reasonable doubt.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 05:47:45 PM »

I am actually quite surprised that adslmax didn't get Plusnet to send out Openreach - Plusnet usually do for anyone who complains enough, regardless of the circumstances.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 09:42:09 AM »

It may be that the NTE5C Mark 2 is better. Some people have said that the front was a bit loose and could get knocked off if the thing had a Mark 4 SSFP and especially if it was mounted down by the skirting board say.

It is good for old folks, those with bad hands and those who have chronic screwdriver mislay syndrome as no tool is required to take the front off to get to the wretched test socket. Mrs Weaver finds it a nightmare to have to expose the test socket on the NTE5As unless she can go and get Walter, her power screwdriver, because her hands are bad and dexterity is poor.

On balance I like the NTE5Cs, as I have got rid of Mark 4 SSFPs and have plain telephony fronts on them instead which have just one traditional BT phone socket on them.
Pages: 1 [2]