Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyway to increase upload speeds?  (Read 3627 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Anyway to increase upload speeds?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »

Speeds are slightly lower
Within a small margin, as expected due to variance in conditions throughout the day.

I do not believe there is much scope for improvement based on the information I have. It looks like the approx. 1.5 Mbps upstream you are getting is the most you can reasonably expect to receive. Furthermore, that speed is snugly within the range on the dslchecker.

It doesn't mean that there is no fault and that you cannot get more, but I gather the line is stable so that would rule out the likelihood of it being a fault. And you've tried different hardware and filters without a budge to the sync speed. I just think that becuase of crosstalk and, as other members have mentioned, PSD masks there is not much scope for an increased upstream.

You could purchase a Broadcom-based modem/CPE with shell access so you can get stats from the device to graph (and show us). You could pick up an old 8800NL (the first version) from the Bay for probably about as low as £20. Though I do not know if it would be worth investing in such a device just for the sake of us telling you there is nothing to improve. :(
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

digit101

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 09:22:14 PM »

Actually since using the home hub 5b the snr is fluctuating? It started doing this 30mins ago.

snr fluctuating between 4.3db - 6.3db? in steps of 0.3 - 1db every couple of seconds. Attainable varying by 2mbps and attenuations is staying the same at: 44.0 / 31.3

Could this modem be using frequency or tones that are more prone to interference? With the plusnet one hub it was fine never fluctuated more than 0.2db

Or is this is a symptom of a faulty modem?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »

It is normal for SNR (Sound to Noise Ratio) Margin to fluctuate. The deviations may be larger in the evening than during the day due to changes in background interference levels. You have to bear in mind that the SNR Margin value represents the values across all frequencies/tones that have bits allocated - it is a margin between the noise floor (background noise) and communications between the DSLAM (at the exchange or cabinet) and CPE (Customer Permises Equipment). I think the amount it is fluctuating by is not too significant considering your distance and there is no concern from my perspective of this device being faulty.

The varying conditions will impact the attainable sync - what the modem think it can attain under current conditions.

Line attenuation won't change since that is calculated at sync (when the DSLAM and CPE negotiate a connection). Though signal attenuation may vary.

In reference to the Hub One not fluctuating much, you should know that the underlying hardware in that device is different (Lantiq vs Broadcom on the 5B). So while this is speculation (without solid proof), there is a good chance that the hardware will perform slightly differently in the way it chooses to allocate bits and bitswap.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything