Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Terrible road crash in Skye  (Read 2568 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Terrible road crash in Skye
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »

There was a beautiful photo posted earlier if the view looking eastward from the top of the Bealach na Bà, Applecross (which I am sure you all know is Britain's highest road, iirc). A friend of mine was in a cycle race which went 2000 feet up over the top, from down at sea level. Had a heart attack at the top. Madness. I suspect they helicoptered him away, can't remember just now. Exercise is bad for you. Should have done it in something with an engine, much easier and a lot more fun, on a Ducati maybe, except that a motorbike would never ever get round those hairpin bends below the top, not a chance.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 03:01:50 AM »

A lot more info has come out and I have a great lot more details too. It was in fact a terrible crime committed against the deceased man and his critically injured son who is in an artificial coma in Glasgow. The son is now breathing on his own. There has been an arrest.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »

Sidetracked again, on the subject of Applecross: my beloved tells me that there is a small boat from Broadford in Skye across to A’ Chomraich (Applecross) and back, on Sunday, weather permitting. Of course, there is no law saying you could not just go one way, use it as a taxi or leg in your journey.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »

Janet tells me that the man from An Teanga who died has left a wife and young family plus older children, and the family is now without an income. A justgiving.com web thing that was intended to raise money for the funeral had aimed to raise £5k and Janet said that tonight it has hit £27k. So there are some decent people about.

His little girl is quite seriously disabled and so mother is needed at home looking after her as well as the other children. So it is just all completely horrible for the family, plus they have their injured son in hospital to worry about. I just wish I could help in some way.

The hamlet of An Teanga is on the east side of the long southern peninsula of Sléibhte which is to the south-east of where I am, on the way down to smo.uhi.ac.uk where I was a student, which is what brought me from London to Skye. Later I was a contractor there briefly. I used to drive through it every day in my student days. An Teanga is next to Sàsaig where my two nine year-old moggy sisters Beileag and Buidheag came from. It is a mile or two north of where the southern ferry goes to Malaig on the mainland.

--

I perhaps ought to have some consideration for kitizens, because the placenames are a nightmare, although wikipedia gets things right:

An Teanga - [ən ˈtʃʰɛŋ(g)ə] or [ən ˈtʃʰɛŋ(g)i] - like ch in 'check' and ng in 'singer'
Sléibhte - [ˈʃleːtʃʰə] - southern Eng l
Sàsaig - [ˈsaːsɛkʲ] - like the c in 'cure'
Malaig - [ˈmal̪ˠɛkʲ] - Bolton Lancs. l
Beileag - [ˈpɛlak] - like the p in 'captain'
Buidheag - [ˈpujak]
Pages: 1 [2]

anything