Chat > Tech Chat

Charging for internet usage

(1/6) > >>

Weaver:
Is there a way that I could charge Mrs Weaver's B&B guests for internet downloads and uploads per MB so that we could make a profit out of reselling connectivity? Acquiring additional bandwidth costs us an awful lot and 4G usage is very expensive. Also if it is too much of a pain to administer, meter and collect the cash, then Mrs Weaver will not be interested, because she has enough on her plate.

Obviously hotels have integrated systems in place but they are likely to be way too big and too costly for us, as Janet has just about the smallest hotel in the world with only two rooms. I am looking for a shortcut trick that is very cheap.

I very much doubt that this is feasible but I wondered if anyone has any good ideas.

Ixel:
A freeware RADIUS server which includes 'accounting' should do the job, as long as the means of 'logging in' is simple enough for your guests. You should then be able to track their data usage.

Ronski:
The cheapest option is to charge a flat rate per night and setup a WiFi network per room and simply change the wireless key for the respective room as required. You could limit the amount of devices allowed to connect each network to stop key sharing with occupants of the other room.

It would be worth explaining in your info folder why you charge, most people expect free WiFi, but  a short explanation that you have four lines to get broadband will explain it.

chenks:

--- Quote from: Ronski on August 08, 2018, 10:16:23 AM ---The cheapest option is to charge a flat rate per night and setup a WiFi network per room and simply change the wireless key for the respective room as required. You could limit the amount of devices allowed to connect each network to stop key sharing with occupants of the other room.

It would be worth explaining in your info folder why you charge, most people expect free WiFi, but  a short explanation that you have four lines to get broadband will explain it.

--- End quote ---

i'm not sure many will care (or understand why) how many lines it takes or how the internet is delivered, most just want access and usually expect it for free.

also, trying to explain why Mrs X has an internet bill because her phone uploaded photos to the cloud whilst connected to WIFI might be a tough sell, and may end up giving the B&B a bad rep.

kitz:
I think I'd be tempted to agree with Ronski.     You perhaps don't need to go into the 4 line detail, but perhaps just keep it simple by saying additional overhead costs due to the remote location.     I should image most people would understand that.

--- Quote ---Mrs X has an internet bill because her phone uploaded photos to the cloud whilst connected to WIFI might be a tough sell, and may end up giving the B&B a bad rep.
--- End quote ---

Valid point and many guests may not be aware that this could happen... and why perhaps it may be better just to charge a flat rate fee rather than by usage.

Most of the hotels I've stayed in either
(a) offer it free   
(b) offer it free but you only get low bit rate with option to upgrade  or
(c) charge a flat rate fee per night.
Unless they are part of a large group I don't think many hotels charge for Mb actually used due to complexity of administration. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version