Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Electrification  (Read 658 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Electrification
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:52:38 AM »

I think though that the internet should be thought of as like electrification in the 1950s, which is when my father's family in Staffordshire got electricity and also interestingly the village of Heasta here in Skye got electricity too, at around the same time, so my neighbour tells me. Amazing! My father and uncle told me that in the 1950s electricity use was initially free and they gave you lots of free kit so that you would use a lot of it. In the 1960s there were always electric fires on in the kitchen, toasting an old cat, Old Thomas, until his fur began to burn and smell. "Mother, I can smell that cat again. Shift him, will, you?" while a roaring gale came through under all doors with mats stuffed up against the bottom of them, in vain, and wind was screaming out of the cellar door which had two open windows below ground, on the north side. So things were engineered to create a justification for the new system. It seems that government wants people to want the internet nowadays and then to want more speed than they need. If we could sell internet useage to Mrs Weaver's guests in her tourist accommodation business then that would be great, but it just cannot be bought at all, not at any kind of economic price, in the form of DSL or FTTP, that people will pay, without spending hundreds of thousands of pounds. And there will come a point when a certain subclass of guests will start to expect internet connectivity, delivered over wireless LAN, even though that is stupid as there is good 3G and even some fast 4G. What I would like to do is resell 4G, but tourists could rack up a bill that we cannot monitor or recoup. I racked up a £50 bill on 3G network charges in one day when I went into hospital a few years ago because I watched a couple of movies over the internet.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Electrification
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »

This has reminded me what my father told me that his house in Derby was one of the first to have electricity in 1930's, The trams had been in place some years earlier in parts of Derby, while they put the power cables in for the trams they put in extra cables for public use.
He took the offer of the local Derby power company to have have electricity in your home for lighting and cooking etc.
They had to install a cable from the main road / tramway to my parents home two streets away, he installed all the wiring himself and soon had a bright light house to live in.
I think having a very good well paid job at Rolls Royce Derby helped.
He also told me he built one of the first scanning disk televisions, he was always building radios, televisions, amplifiers etc till his death in his 80's.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Electrification
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »

I was in fact born in Derby. My mother was at Ashbourne maternity hospital, but they realised that things were not going to be going right so they transferred her to Derby City. Very proud Derbyshire man. After the Staffordshire moorlands and the peat of the Peak District, I feel very much at home in the similar, high moorland landscape of my part of Skye. Of course, the village of Flash in Staffordshire, off the Leek-Buxton road, is a lot higher than any settlement in Scotland.