Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Textastic - 'Nasty bug in iOS11' ? - select all - hang  (Read 6864 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Textastic - 'Nasty bug in iOS11' ? - select all - hang
« on: August 06, 2018, 01:08:39 AM »

When you do 'select all' on the contents of a window, my text editor on the ipad, Textastic, immediately hangs. The Textastic developer kindly explained that this was an iOS bug: what happened was that in settings: accessibility > “speak selection” got turned on and that causes the bug, which stuffs the current app completely. So do watch out. I was completely paralysed by it and never put it down to that accessibility settings change, something which I had tried and then forgotten about, so I never associated it with the sudden appearance of the bug. There had been a new release of Textastic, but in fact that had been too long ago to explain things, but in my panic I made a false association between the two.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:43:57 AM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Textastic - 'Nasty bug in iOS11' ? - select all - hang
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »

Are you sure this is an iOS bug, rather than a bug in the App? 

I understand the App developer has said so, but still, have you checked if all Apps are affected, or just that one?

I tried “select all” on an email, displayed by the native iOS App.   No hang.

Then I went to settings and enabled “speak selection”.   I tried again with select all, no hang.   It did also successfuly read the entire email aloud, when asked.

iOS 11.2.5

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:19:49 AM »

I am repeating the developer’s opinion. I did not test it. Thanks for doing so!

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »

i would agree with the other poster and suggest this is an app bug.
developers will usually always blame the OS, when in reality it's just poor coding on their part.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »

Of course sometimes bugs have very complex triggers, from personal experience. But I am not disagreeing with you. I modified the title accordingly, to add some doubt.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »

Of course sometimes bugs have very complex triggers, from personal experience.

Too true, it could easily be an iOS bug at a deeper level.  That said, from my own experience as an iOS developer, when I hit a bug in iOS, the only sensible option is to code around it if at all possible; simply asking Apple to fix it is unlikely to help.

Even in my working life, I quickly learned that as far as customers were concerned, my job was to ensure my product worked.   If it didn’t work, and I tried to explain that the fault was caused by an underlying bug in (say) Linux kernel, or the firmware in some bought-in interface card,  the customer really didn’t care - that was still my fault from their perspective, as it was ‘my’ product.  And actually, I agree.