Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: G.Fast connection  (Read 8730 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.Fast connection
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2018, 11:47:23 PM »

I thought one of the ideas of G.fast was that you've got such a large amount of bandwidth that losing a few tens of Mb isn't supposed to matter, and also it's much faster to reconnect.

They noticed the slight decrease in speeds a couple of weeks ago, they weren't too concerned about that.   
Much more of concern was the amount of noticeable disconnects and amount of time where they had no sync at all which could last a few hours.    There's been 157 loss of connection over the past few weeks according to the Zen RADIUS report.   

What I may not have mentioned is that DLM started taking action and capped at 95Mbps.. and then I believe 24Mbps a couple of days ago which is how I interpreted the message I got which was "Capping the speeds between 24 & 95 Mbps".   So obviously one very poorly line.
The stats show the line after a DLM reset.   

---
ETA.   Just had a look at one of the other files I was sent and it would appear that the line appeared to have got worse from the 21st of July.   
The more the DLM took action, it made no difference to the line stability.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:20:18 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2018, 06:49:07 AM »

When the Profile 8a G.993.2 service was first made available every end-user had to have an Openreach supplied modem. By implementing that rule, live performance data was obtained for every circuit. (Hence the existence of the VLAN tagged 301.) One advantage of the mass data collection was that, after suitable analysis, it became clear the average U.K. metallic pathway was capable of supporting a Profile 17a service. Hence my surprise to know that mandatory usage of an Openreach provided modem and mass performance data monitoring has not been implemented for the G.9700/G.9701 (G.Fast) service.

Wasn't that more for managing the modems themselves, such as updating their firmware? Surely all the data can be collected from the DSLAM anyway?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »

Wasn't that more for managing the modems themselves, such as updating their firmware?

I think so.  IIRC a few years back,  there were several myths surrounding the what the modem was doing when it was 'dialling home'.  These were debunked by a few people - Adrian Kennard (AAISP) being one of them.

Surely all the data can be collected from the DSLAM anyway?
Yes. Whilst the DLM system is mostly only interested in the instability parameters, other data such as Sync Speed, SNRM is routinely recorded via the Element Manager.

The ISP's can also have access to this data if they wish via tools available to them such as BRAT/KBD/RRT eg this is one for sync speed

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2018, 10:32:04 PM »

Is G.fast still considered to be in a pilot phase or as it officially gone commercial?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2018, 12:04:45 AM »

IIRC a few years back,  there were several myths surrounding the what the modem was doing when it was 'dialling home'.  These were debunked by a few people . . .

The best description is in a short series of Wordpress posts, from June - July 2012, published under the title "Through Infinity; and beyond?" with the subtitle "A closer look at the UK's Infinity Broadband Network".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2018, 12:38:09 AM »

Is G.fast still considered to be in a pilot phase or as it officially gone commercial?

I think a lot of the problems may not so much to be with Openreach, but more the SP's installation of a backhaul link from the exchange -  See my post here and the following 2 posts for more info.   Hardly any ISP's are yet offering it because it requires a separate GEA cablelink...  and if you only have say one customer at an exchange wanting the product then it can work out mighty expensive to install a 10Gb cablelink.
If you look at the timescale and bear in mind my daughter was on a pilot exchange, it still took nearly 3 months from date of ordering until they were live.
So until the SP's start installing their cablelinks (or use a BTw WBC one if there's one installed) then getting finding an ISP to get connected with could take a while.  :/
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2018, 10:10:19 PM »

Update: Still not fixed.   

they are trying to replace a stretch of cable but first engineer had to call out someone else with test rod and tubing as there was no rope left underground to pull it through.

Now waiting for planning permission from the council for the street to be dug up so the cable can be relaid.
Fault is being blamed on a gas explosion last month which was suspected to have ruptured a gas pipe.   Apparently when the Gas board dug up the road for emergency repair it's caused damage to Openreach's ducting and cables.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:05:47 AM by kitz »
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]