Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: G.Fast connection  (Read 8743 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
G.Fast connection
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »

The Cable Links. So the pods go to switches in the exchanges. In ECI areas these can't be the old ones, in Huawei areas it's technically possible so a matter of policy. What would certainly be wise is using 10G CableLinks rather than the 1G that almost everyone's FTTC goes through. Really not good for performance having a decent size cohort of 300Mb-capable users sharing a gig with lots of 38/76Mb. You can get a LOT of subscribers going through a single switch and hence a single CableLink.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.Fast connection
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »

Cheers.  Its a Huawei area - see photos here.  All I know is they appear to have elected to not install another cable link and despite having their own cable link for fttc are going to use BTw for g.fast.   I have no idea what bandwidth they have on their cable links but as you say, it wouldn't perhaps be the best idea sharing it with 38/76Mb users

I suppose this may only be temporary until they get more EU's wanting g.fast from that exchange?  If Leo still worked for Zen I'd ask him, but I don't like sticking my nose in too much as the g.fast connection will be in her partners name so not really my place to do so when he has his own contacts, so aside from asking him on occasion I keep out of it. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »

Cheers.  Its a Huawei area - see photos here.  All I know is they appear to have elected to not install another cable link and despite having their own cable link for fttc are going to use BTw for g.fast.   I have no idea what bandwidth they have on their cable links but as you say, it wouldn't perhaps be the best idea sharing it with 38/76Mb users

I suppose this may only be temporary until they get more EU's wanting g.fast from that exchange?  If Leo still worked for Zen I'd ask him, but I don't like sticking my nose in too much as the g.fast connection will be in her partners name so not really my place to do so when he has his own contacts, so aside from asking him on occasion I keep out of it.

Spot on.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 02:22:30 AM »

Before I forget, my daughter's line went G.fast live the week before last.   
I'm afraid I don't have any stats and not sure when I can get over there to check it out first hand.  I believe speed tests are circa 230Mbps.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 02:25:04 AM »

230Mbps is better than nothing. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 02:39:23 AM »

It is truly a different world.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 02:52:09 AM »

230Mbps is better than nothing. :)

I'm not sure what the actual sync speed is.  Speedtests will obviously be slower due to overheads.   From memory I think their estimated clean line rate was 240-270 Mbps.

My daughter has no interest in such things as long as it works and isnt slow, so a speedtest is about the most I will get from her.  :D   I need to catch her b/f to ask but main topic of convo this week has been several things occurring which have nothing to do with the Internet. 
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 02:58:41 AM »

But it always great to download file lots quickly plus uploads too.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 03:25:29 AM »

I'm not sure what the actual sync speed is.  Speedtests will obviously be slower due to overheads.   From memory I think their estimated clean line rate was 240-270 Mbps.
I would be very interested in any further details you can find out, the clean estimate for me was 262-295mbps but my current synch rate of 218Mbps doesn't even meet the handback threshold :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 11:04:44 PM »

Before I forget, my daughter's line went G.fast live the week before last.   
I'm afraid I don't have any stats and not sure when I can get over there to check it out first hand.  I believe speed tests are circa 230Mbps.

I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere that their speeds had started to decrease to ~200 Mbps. 
For the past week or so they have been getting quite a lot of periods of no sync and speeds have dropped further.      No stats due to them having an MT992, but I do have some screen caps of their down time (red) and quick resyncs (amber) together with chart showing number of resyncs provided by Zen  I've asked him if he can try to get them to provide some line test results showing sync speed/SNRM etc but I guess that will have to wait until Monday now.

Zen have logged it as intermittent fault possibly REIN.  Engineer booked.
DD's b/f was quite amused when their Faults Manager sent them a link to quote "A brilliant website which gives information about interference and REIN"

-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 11:18:42 PM »

DD's b/f was quite amused when their Faults Manager sent them a link to quote "A brilliant website which gives information about interference and REIN"

I can just imagine your smile of pride at the compliment.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 11:19:36 PM »

Seriously when are Openreach going to learn from this lesson? ADSL trouble, ADSL2+ trouble, FTTC trouble and now G.Fast trouble? Never gonna to get better ain't it?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »

I don't think there are many folk around the North West/Manchester area that aren't aware of your site with regard to REIN/Interference.

I tend to show most my EU's by way of awareness, and they are for the most part genuinely interested, saving the link to their favourites.

We'll soon have you as 'Dame Kitz',  on the next New Years honours list !!!  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »

:D
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »

For those who are interested in stats,  see attached which I asked if he'd get for me :D

Engineer is there atm, The message I got was they are trying to replace a stretch of cable but first engineer had to call out someone else with test rod and tubing as there was no rope left underground to pull it through.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4