Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Growling kitten  (Read 585 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Growling kitten
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »

The tiny kitten, Pangur Bàn, has stopped really spitting and growling at the poor greyhound Ciarán. However he still shows no great love for the placid elderly dog. Pangur Bàn decided when he first came that the dog was monstrously huge. Being large without a licence. Also to make matters worse, Ciarán would come and lie on the bed next to me. Again without permission from the kitten. Then there was the dental exposure. Ciarán would yawn, which in greyhounds is a 'non-threatening' or 'appeasing' gesture. Meanwhile the kitten would go to Defcon 3 at the sight of all those huge teeth.

Noawadays the kitten still sometimes blocks the bedroom doorway or bathroom doorway so that the poor dog is trapped because he dare not go past, so Ciarán in that case just looks miserable and waits for Janet to come and rescue him from the situation. At least the kitten has never clawed the dog. Ciarán would squeal and bring the house down if that were to happen, just as he always did every time Orange tweaked his bum for going past without saying hello formally. In the hierarchy, the dog is below all cats and he very much knows it. If any cat is sleeping in Ciarán’s dog-bed, only once has Ciarán got up the courage to climb in with her, having carefully measured the free space available. Usually he, yes you’ve probably guessed it, just stands there whimpering pitifully and waits for Janet to come.

Is there a cure? Any way of getting the kitten to be kind to the dog? Time obviously. I wonder about some tricks though or shortcuts to bring Pangur Bàn round to liking his huge black friend?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Growling kitten
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »

That is a difficult situation as, clearly, the kitten instinctively knows that dogs have masters whilst cats have staff. In his world, Pangur Bàn is at the top of the hierarchy, closely followed by all the other kittehs. Then there is you and Mrs Weaver, his staff. Finally there is Ciarán, just something to intimidate.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Growling kitten
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 01:28:21 AM »

I think Caoimhe might be above him in the hierarchy, because she is sometimes like his mum and sometimes like a grumpy old primary school headmistress. He cuddles up to her and wants her affection and warmth. She often sits on him cynically because he is roasting hot, in fact the hottest cat I have ever known - it is really quite weird. Caoimhe spits at him at the slightest insult or displeasure to show him who is boss. But sometimes she looks very soppy and maternal over him and comes to look for him if she thinks he is in trouble or unhappy from the evidence of some signal. She is torn between the maternal bit and her selfish nature of using him and every other individual as a hot water bottle, because seeking heat is her constant life-long mission. Time after time she sits right on top of him to squash him, so she gets his tremendous heat output and if he gets out from under her because he can't stand it any more then she gets the hot patch that he has warmed up ready for her, so a win-win situation, more or less.

The Sàsaigs just greet Pangur Bàn cheerfully, noses, and go on their way. Somhairle has taken Pangur Bàn on as his new replacement brother and loves him deeply. aye is always wanting to cuddle up to him or invite him to play and the play initiation is even, both sides starting things off. Because Pangur Bàn is still so tiny, hr find play a bit rough and occasionally cries out a bit, but does not really let himself be put off; he will sometimes escape momentarily from some situation with a cry and then fling himself straight back into the horseplay. He just loves to throw himself at Somhairle and vice versa. The bed is a great favourite for wrestling, because it is safe being so soft. The also have various toys: a tunnel, two room-height poles with platforms and boxes on them, and they race up and down the stairs, across the landing and in and out of the bedroom. Where the bedspread hangs down to the floor that provides a great curtain to hide behind and leap out from. Mountains of duvet on the bed are also great for hide-and-leap-out. They even get into the bath and play on either side of a shower curtain. They are so happy together all the time and it is great for Somhairle to have an adoptive brother back. Some of our orientals are in fact related to one another, we found out. I suspect with a bit of help I could find out the story on the web by looking up their parents’ fancy posh names. Somhairle’s father is some sort of mega-star and very beautiful. I should find a picture of father because I know Janet has one of both parents.

Using the web, we looked our greyhounds up, and found that Rònán, my deceased blue greyhound is related to Ciarán. Both came from Derry in Ireland. The might of the web again, anyway. The tattooed codes in their ears formed the search key. Green codes in ears mean Irish greyhound.