Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Fourth line goes in next Wed  (Read 19608 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Fourth line goes in next Wed
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2018, 03:56:09 PM »

Have now finally changed everything over   
  • new config employing VLANs installed in Firebrick
  • a new modem programmed for its role in cwcc@a.2 - the only distinctive thing being its admin IPv4 address
  • plugged small ZyXEL VLAN MUX switch into Firebrick and all modems into the small switch
The new line, cwcc@a.2, is not talking to AA or not talking PPPto the brick, one or the other.

No IP working to the admin interfaces of the modems, either because I have got the modems the wrong way round or because my method of NATing etc no longer works. So now, I can no longer talk to the modems through the Firebrick. Will have to debug the setup, try and find something new, or simply put a network cable from a modem to the main LAN switch instead.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:01:27 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2018, 06:22:10 PM »

BT coming on the 27th

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2018, 06:40:46 PM »

That reads as if a total pig-ear has been made out of a simple "line and service" provision.  :(

(If only I was next door . . . I'd be round with all my doings and gubbins.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »

It may not be so simple when its over many kilometres of mountainous terrain. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2018, 12:09:49 AM »

The thing is it should have been just a matter of making the other pair in the  drop cable live, but there were complications nearer the exchange apparently and then there was this mysterious fault on the moor which appeared on the very day of the first installation.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2018, 12:32:45 AM »

That reads as if a total pig-ear has been made out of a simple "line and service" provision.  :(

(If only I was next door . . . I'd be round with all my doings and gubbins.)

You will be made extremely welcome, especially with gubbins. Welcome extends to my other friends amongst the Kitizens too. I realise that Burakkucat's health is not perfect. There is the sleeper train from Euston to Inverness then the train to Caol Loch Aillse / Kyle of Lochalsh which is by the Skye Bridge. Or there are flights from Heathrow, Gatwick and Luton. The latter is £35, if it ever turns up, being easyjet. Flight does make it so easy tho and the cheapest option.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »

BT coming on the 27th

I hope all goes well today  :fingers:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2018, 03:10:47 PM »

Bit of a cockup because it is apparently a bank hol in England, so no AA staff about if needed.

BT here now high resistance fault plus some other thing wrong but Janet couldn't remember - cwcc@a.2 new line installed 5 days ago, bad on day 0. At low pole now just across the road by the stream.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2018, 11:08:35 PM »

Hopefully you will have had the services of Black McSheep.

The other part of the fault could possibly be --
  • split legs of the pair.
  • poor (low) AC balance.
  • one leg dis.
It's probably not worth troubling Mrs Weaver to ask if any of the above could be what was also mentioned as, hopefully, it will be in the report that A&A will eventually receive.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2018, 11:09:27 PM »

BT man worked at the pole for a while and then disappeared in the direction of civilisation. Did not come back to the house so job still incomplete. Got a phone call at around 17:45 BST to let us know there would be a continuation job, but don't know when that means.

Told AA what was going on.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2018, 11:38:30 PM »

@burakkucat there is a huge amount of info in AA's clueless.aa.net.uk server and also I discovered another server called something like www.bt.aa.net.uk which is a web server that displays 'trouble' or problem report logs relating to a particular fault resolution job. I can see all the conversation with BT, most of which is very strange and confusing, and also a load of info coming from BT including tests’ results and updates on progress.

Nothing to show relating to today yet. No idea when they are going to come back. It is not very good that the first fellow left with it in such a state saying it was 'installed' but I had never got a demo from him because I think AA had not turned PPP or lower layers on in time so I could not actually have got everything up and running for a real test. That is why I did not detain the BT man last week and let him escape with no idea whether it was working properly or not. The idea last week seemed to be that if we were given good copper then that was enough, yet AA pay BTW for BTW’s DSL service so it is that that needs to be tested and demoed. Let me temporarily play along with the fantasy that there are all really several different companies, while as far as I know there is just one company, one legal entity and one company number for the one plain 'BT'. If there is no such a thing as a 'BT Wholesale engineer' only a 'BT Openreach engineer then there is a kind of gap in the service. I hope there is just no such thing and that they remember that.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2018, 12:28:35 AM »

Nothing to show relating to today yet.

No, I suspect it will take a while before anything appears. Possibly not until Openreach close the task.

The idea last week seemed to be that if we were given good copper then that was enough, yet AA pay BTW for BTW’s DSL service so it is that that needs to be tested and demoed. Let me temporarily play along with the fantasy that there are all really several different companies, while as far as I know there is just one company, one legal entity and one company number for the one plain 'BT'. If there is no such a thing as a 'BT Wholesale engineer' only a 'BT Openreach engineer then there is a kind of gap in the service. I hope there is just no such thing and that they remember that.

I'm going to suggest that you leave it to Adrian Kennard to "play that game" and do not get involved.  :-X

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2018, 01:38:35 AM »

@burakkucat Agreed. I indeed shall leave it all to AA to sort out, that's why they get paid the big bucks. It is not as if it is a priority anyway as I already have working internet access and am not in any hurry. After all, it has taken me five years or so to get round to placing this order anyway.

I would have got more detail if I had met the engineer but I could not get up because of too much pain and fuzziness/dizziness/burning.

I forgot to mention that the engineer told Janet that he could hear loud crackles on the line. So there you have it, not good.

[Moderator edited to combine three sequential posts into one.]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:40:45 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2018, 07:32:38 AM »

Won't be much longer before we (Openreach) are a separate entity. TUPE going on as we speak .... new uniforms despatched and van-livery being changed.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2018, 07:55:28 AM »

Won't be much longer before we (Openreach) are a separate entity. TUPE going on as we speak .... new uniforms despatched and van-livery being changed.

Good luck Black Sheep - I went through a TUPE exercise many years ago and it wasn't much fun.

On a lighter note, will you need to dye your fleece a new colour?
 :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:57:36 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

anything