Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Glide TG589vac v2 - no default gateway  (Read 2651 times)

• Just arrived
Glide TG589vac v2 - no default gateway
« on: August 02, 2018, 07:31:38 PM »

Hello,

I'm looking a some help with a glide router I've bought to have a play with, with a non-glide connection.

It's the Technicolor TG589vac v2.  I got it from ebay, but it was brand new in packaging, and the enclosed documents confirm it only got sent out at the start of July.  However, I cannot get onto the interface at all.

I've tried connecting two different laptops via ethernet (in all LAN ports, including port 4 incase it was in bridge mode), but all I get in ipconfig is

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::29d6:152e:72cb:8c45%16
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.140.69
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The ethernet light on the front is on, as is the one on the port(s) I plug into, it even flashes suggesting there is some activity, but I just cannot get any joy out of it.  Same for the wifi, the SSID is GLIDE (whereas the enclosed card and documents suggest it should be Glide0129658), and neither the password on the card, or the original one under the label on the router, are accepted.  I can get round by connecting via WPS, but even with this, the wifi network shows as connected with no default gateway.

I've tried setting a static IP in my network settings, doing a winsock reset, but still get the same result.

I've also factory reset several times but still get the same issue.

I have a zen line and interestingly if I plug the DSL in it does sync and even the internet light goes green, which I wouldn't expect, given it shouldn't be able to auth on a zen connection.

It was only £10 so if all else fails I'll give it up as a bad job, but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions or experience on this, before it goes in the bin!

TIA

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Glide TG589vac v2 - no default gateway
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »

I've tried setting a static IP in my network settings, doing a winsock reset, but still get the same result.

Boring and tiresome suggestion I know, but have you tried all the usual subnets, i.e. 192.168./254/0/1/2.x, 10.0.0.x etc? Far as I can tell from a quick google it should be 192.168.1.x, but I have no idea what custom setup glide may have done.

Absolutely no clue why its default state wouldn't be giving out IPs via DHCP.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum!  ;D

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:17:50 PM »

Thanks, I'll give that a go.  I know the default is 192.168.1.1 on technicolors own firmware, but the part about having a Glide specific one would make sense, especially considering the custom GLIDE SSID rather than the usual TNCAP ones.  There appears to be little documentation about glide supplied hardware online.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 02:26:29 AM »

Welcome, 158758 !

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »

And a "Welcome to the Kitz forum" from the grumpy kuro neko.  :)

I agree with johnson's suggestion. Start by trying an nmap scan of 192.168.0.0/16 and only consider the other private address spaces if that scan shows nothing.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:58:02 AM »

I don't know whether anyone uses 169.254.*.*/16 ? I don't know why not, but I have not heard of it.

anything